Hello everyone – I hope you are doing fine and dandy. We’re still staying home and practicing social distancing. The masks I ordered for us should arrive this week. We’re getting ready for May 11 and having to wear masks in public.
A warm welcome to a new family member. Emily Katherine Butler was born on May 1, 2020. She arrived weighing 7 pounds and 7 ounces, and was 19.5 inches. Her parents are Rebekah and Matthew Butler. The maternal grandparents are Greg and Laura Bates. The great-grandmother is Doris Caudill. Congratulations to all.
We ate at Joe’s Drive-In Chicken last week. It was good. We sat in the car and ate as the picnic table area was closed. We’ll eat there again sometime.
Carla Smith has been posting some of her photos on Facebook. She is a great photographer. I love her bear photos.
Mike and I took a ride in the side-by-side up Town Hill. It was nice. For some reason when we went through mud puddles, I was the one that got splattered with mud. We saw a cousin, Harold Day, riding up there also. Right after we passed Harold, I saw a big black snake. I much prefer seeing black snakes than brown snakes.
Susan, Waldo and Joe Stamper of Lexington came in to spend several days at their place on Little Cowan. It was good seeing them. We did social distance when we talked.
Debbie and Jeff Vice of Flemingsburg came in to spend the weekend at their place on Kingdom Come. They stopped by to say hello and we did social distancing with them. We did make tentative plans for a trip once we can travel again. Jeff has officially retired and joins the rest of us retirees.
I asked family and friends to send me names of 2020 graduates so they could receive recognition. It’s been a different school year for everyone. I am recognizing these graduates by posting their names in this column.
• Ariel Faye Calloway of Pelkin, Ind., has graduated from kindergarten. Her parents are Samantha and Andrew Calloway. Her grandparents are Michael and Stacy Barnett. Her great-grandmother is Stella Sigrest Barnett of Eckerty, Ind.
•Parker McGinty of Yazoo City, Miss., has graduated from kindergarten. She attended Mannsdale Elementary School in Madison, Miss. Parker is the daughter of Rebecca and Chad McGinty. She is the granddaughter of Roger and Anne Sigrest Carpenter of Yazoo City, Miss.
• Sydney Scroggins of Madison, Miss., has graduated from kindergarten. She attended Mannsdale Elementary School in Madison, Miss. Sydney is the daughter of Lori and Griffin Scroggins. She is the granddaughter of Roger and Anne Sigrest Carpenter of Yazoo City, Miss.
• Harper Scroggins of Madison, Miss., has graduated from kindergarten. She attended Mannsdale Elementary School in Madison, Miss. Harper is the daughter of Lori and Griffin Scoggins. She is the granddaughter of Roger and Anne Sigrest Carpenter of Yazoo City, Miss.
• Emma Phillips of Clinton, Miss., has completed elementary school and will start junior high in the fall. Her parents are Rebecca and Jon Phillips. Her grandmother is Kathy Sigrest LaMonte of Clinton, Miss.
• Emily Paige Caudill of Mayking, will graduate from Whitesburg Middle School. Her parents are Candy and Steve Caudill. Her grandparents are Larry and Similene Mullins, Robert Caudill, and Debbie and Fairless Collins. Her great-grandparents are Larry and Betty Adams, and Bob and Ramona Caudill.
• Isaiah Fields graduated from the eighth grade at Jenkins Elementary School. Isaiah’s parents are Rachel and Chris Fields. His grandparents are Rob and Carla Ison; Emily and Bob Anderson; and Bessie and Lester McPeek.
• Brandon Andry of Birdseye, Ind., graduated from Forest Park High School. He is the son of Pat and Karen Andry. His grandmother is Judy Sigrest Allen.
• Anna Bledsoe of Berea, graduated from Model School, Richmond. Her parents are Michael and Janis Marr. Her grandparents are John Campbell of Little Cowan and Ron and Debbie Marr of Elizabethtown. Her great-grandfather is Glen Brown of Whitesburg. Anna will be attending Eastern Kentucky University and plans to do a double major in Social Work and Agriculture.
• Lexi Santana Pease of Pikeville graduated from Shelby High School in Pikeville. Her mother is Jessica Pease of Pikeville. Her grandparents are Kae and David Fisher of Little Cowan. Lexi plans to attend Easten Kentucky University and study Physical Therapy.
• Sarah Brashears of Blountville, Tenn., graduated from Sullivan Central High School. Her parents are Candra Leach and Sam Brashears. Her grandparents are Donald and Millie Banks of Little Cowan. She plans to attend Northeast State University and major in Industrial Electricity.
• Joseph Robert Fisher of Whitesburg graduated from Letcher Central High School. His parents are Chris Fisher of Whitesburg and the late Kelly Nichols.
• Esmerelda Cervantes of Williamburg, graduated from Williamsburg Independent School. Her mother is Jennifer Jimenez of Lexington. Her grandparents are Susan and Tony Ware of Lexington. She plans to attend the University of the Cumberlands.
• Maggie Ison of Prospect, graduated from North Oldham High School, Goshen. Her parents are Tom and Connie Ison. Her grandparents are Glennon and Thelma Ison of Flemingsburg. Maggie will be attending Indiana University.
• Samantha Callihan graduated from the University of Kentucky with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Elementary Education. She is the stepdaughter of Angie Watts Callihan of West Chester, OH. She is the granddaughter of the late Hagan and Pat Watts, formerly of Mason, Ohio.
• Jessica Caudill graduated from the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Ala. She earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business with a Major in Marketing. She is the daughter of Douglas Caudill of Rutledge, Tenn., and Billie Bonck of Cape Coral, Fla. Her grandparents are the late J.T. Caudill, the late Eileen Caudill, Carol Caudill of Little Cowan, Yolanda Crossman, and Bill Hall.
• Emma Schroer of Douglasville, Ga., graduated from Georgia Tech University. She majored in International Relations and Modern Languages. Her parents are Kim and Tim Schroer of Douglasville, Ga. Her grandparents are Ron and Jan Wolod of Annapolis, Md.
CONGRATULATIONS to all of the 2020 graduates.
This week’s quote is attributed to Elenor Roosevelt: “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
Please send any news or graduate recognition information to Cowannews@aol.com.
Have a wonderful week.
Stay healthy and safe.