Not finding work in Jenkins, I reenlisted in the Air Force in Pound, Va., in 1947. I was sent to Langley Field in Virginia.
I was assigned to the 9th Air Force 72nd Air Sea Rescue Unit. I was one up on the other crewmembers, as I was a radio operator.
We only had 77 people in our until. All were enlisted men except our commander. I find most of the pilots who flew in World War I were war heroes.
I was assigned to a 25 Rescue Plane as the crew chief and radio operator. We had L4s, L5s, L13s, and helicopters.
When we were not flying we worked in the hanger. When we were flying, we had many bird strikes and we repaired our own plane.
Bird strikes left holes in the plane, and some were large holes that could not be repaired so we would have to replace the whole panel.
The one flight we had when I saved the life of my pilot in the first plane I had to land, we could not talk about. I had no license to fly and would be in a lot of trouble, I thought. So I told no one, but I thought about it for 70-some years.
I was just told lately by a high ranked friend of mine that they would not do anything to me because I was a hero. My friend telling me that made me feel great, and relieved.
(Contributing writer Everett Vanover lives in Fairfield, Calif.)
1. Is the book of Haggai in the Old or New Testament or neither?
2. What is the middle chapter of the New Testament (KJV)? Romans 13, Galatians 2, Ephesians 5, Titus 1
3. At Joppa there was a certain disciple named Tabitha, whose name was translated as …? Ruth, Dorcas, Sarah, Esther
4. What young man went to sleep and fell out of a window while listening to Paul speak? Eutychus, Goliath, Peter, Stephen
5. From John 12, which disciple stole from the treasury? Thomas, Judas, James, John
ANSWERS: 1) Old; 2) Romans 13; 3) Dorcas; 4) Eutychus; 5) Judas (c) 2018 King Features