1. What was the original title of “I Saw Her Standing There”?
2. Who wrote “Alfie,” and why?
3. Which group released “Straight from the Heart”?
4. What is “Big Yellow Taxi” about?
5. Name the song that contains this lyric: “Just tonight I stood before the tavern, Nothing seemed the way it used to be, In the glass I saw a strange reflection, Was that lonely woman really me?”
1. “Seventeen,” as originally written by Paul McCartney in 1963. He was dating a 17-year-old girl at the time.
2. Composers Burt Bacharach and Hal David were asked to write a tie-in promotional song for the film by that name.
3. The Allman Brothers in 1981. The group later viewed the song as an embarrassing experiment.
4. Environmental concerns, with DDT, paved parking lots and a tree museum, as written by Joni Mitchell in 1970.
5. “ Those Were the Days,” by Welsh singer Mary Hopkin in 1968. It originally was a Russian romance song with English words later written by Gene Raskin. Early Russian versions go back as far as 1925. After Hopkin’s successful version, the song ended up being recorded in 20 languages.
©2015 King Features Synd.