Whitesburg KY

Appealing Social Security benefits

Question: Earlier this year I applied for Social Security benefits and was denied. But I want to appeal. Do I need to hire a lawyer to help with my appeal?

Answer: Many people handle their own Social Security appeals, but you may choose to have someone help you with your appeal or to represent you. The choice is entirely up to you. Your representative may be a lawyer or other qualified person familiar with you and the Social Security program. Social Security will work with your representative or with you. It’s important to remember that your representative cannot charge you a fee for their service without first obtaining approval from Social Security. If you want more information about having a representative, visit Social Security online at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/ 10075.html and read the publication Your Right To Representation, or call the toll-free number,1-800- 772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), to request a copy.

Leave a Reply