Whitesburg KY
Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

Arnetta Mae Slone gets good report


Sorry I didn’t have a column last week, and I have lost my notes for that week. You would think I could keep up with things, but I think I would lose my head if it weren’t attached to my body.

Dick and Pat Adams recently drove to North Carolina to visit their children and grandchildren. Pat said the trees on the way were beautiful with the changing leaves, and they enjoyed their visit.

Arnetta Mae Slone got a good report when she went back to Lexington for a doctor’s appointment. Her daughters took her down and April and Isaiah also went. After her appointment they went to the hospital to visit Mae’s niece, Christianna, who was going to have to start dialysis and was having a shunt put in.

I’m not sure how the young girl is doing now, but hopefully she’s better. Her parents are Ronny and Fannie.

Hargus Ison spent a few days in the hospital recently, but has been home awhile now and hopefully is doing well.

Recently about 75 or 80 family and friends gathered at the Stuart Robinson Dining Hall for the George M. and Sally Banks Adams family reunion.

Bill Adams and his sister, Danola Bell, were the only two of the brothers and sisters able to be there, but we all missed Luther and his family and Hazel, who’s in the nursing home. It seems only yesterday that Martha, Jr., Susie, and Opal were here with us, and also ‘Rags.’

We miss them all, but all who attended were happy to be together again.

This past Saturday, the Everett and Opal Banks children and spouses, and some of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren all met in Lexington at Andy and Jessie Banks Scott’s home for a family get-together. We were supposed to meet at Jacobson Park, but the weather changed those plans.

There were 17 family members able to be there, and we catered our food from Cracker Barrel that day. It was good to get together and we enjoyed it.

Rodney and Geraldine Ison and their family were in Lexington Saturday for the wedding of Mike and Sharon’s daughter, Becky. The wedding photos we saw looked like it was a beautiful wedding. They got home on Sunday.

We have all been praying for Geraldine, who goes back to the doctor soon.

Roy Kenon and Billie Smith and Lee and Wilma Pridemore spent a few days the week before last at the Smoky Mountains, and after coming home Roy Kenon learned his sister, Lillie Moss Hale, had fallen and hurt her arm.

Kenneth and Anna Lou Blair came in from the trip they were on in Indiana to stay with Lillie Moss.

Mary Jo Blair and Tommy Harris Smith have also been concerned about their sister, Lillie, and we hope she is doing better.

Our sympathy to the families of Jake Halcomb, Cora Sue Honeycutt and Preacher Virgil Combs, who have all been called away since my last column. Jake’s services were held at Dixon Memorial Church on Sunday.

Cora Sue’s mother is Olive Honeycutt of Crases Branch, and Virgil was a well-loved minister who hadn’t been well for a few years now. His wife Freda and the girls took such good care of him throughout his hard times. His three sons will also miss him very much.

Everyone loved to hear him sing and preach. I can still recall how well he sang ‘The Purple Robe.’ He has been and will be missed.

David and Denise Mullins have returned from a trip to California. While there, they attended the wedding of David’s nephew, Richard Mullins. They spent their time at many tourist areas including Sacramento, San Francisco and Lake Tahoe, where they planned on staying until a snowstorm was predicted to hit.

I hope they had a good time, but know they were happy to get back home.

Some of you may remember Bob’s cousin, Donna Kay Howard, who was from the Carbon Glow area when she was young. Her parents were Reed and Martha Adams Howard and as a young girl she contracted polio.

Donna is now battling cancer, and recently broke her leg in the nursing facility in Dayton, Oh. Everyone signed a get-well card for her while at the Adams reunion.

As I write this they are predicting snow. Can you believe that? Snow for Halloween? That’s just too early for such a thing.

The meeting at the Little Ruby Church has been changed and will be the first Sunday evening at 5 p.m. from now on, starting this Sunday, Nov. 4.

Leave a Reply