Whether you have been recently diagnosed with diabetes,
or have become an expert at planning healthy meals for your
own blood sugar control, you are bound to encounter either
frustration or a lack of enthusiasm about your meal plan once
in a while. Don’t let your meal planning become boring. Liven
it up with some creative food choices. There is no question
about the importance of diet in diabetes control, but as long
as you use portion control and understand how to exchange
one food for another, then the sky’s the limit.
Here are 10 healthy tips to get you started:
• Try using nonstick vegetable cooking spray when cooking
to cut back on oil.
• Use seasonings and condiments that add flavor, but not
calories, to your meals.
• Add fresh herbs to season food with additional flavor.
• Ask your butcher to cut 4 oz. servings of raw meat. When
cooking, they will shrink to 3 oz. serving sizes.
• Look for ground turkey that is less than 7 to 8 percent
fat by weight. Often, the fatty skin is ground in with the meat
giving it a higher fat content.
• Some fat-free cookies have more calories than the
original recipe because of added sugar.
• Avoid palm, coconut and hydrogenerated oils.
• Consult diabetes cookbooks for new recipes.
• You may be advised to eat a small breakfast because
blood glucose is more likely to be high first thing in the
• Instead of eating until you are full, eat until you are no
Source: Diabetes Self-Management and American Diabetes
Association Complete Guide to Diabetes.
Remember, if you have questions or concerns about diabetes,
talk to us at Parkway Pharmacy. As a center of diabetes
care, we offer the most comprehensive line of products and
information available to help you better manage and “live
well” with diabetes.