Whitesburg KY

Before we had electricity

Hoping to find that all my readers and loved ones are doing well. It is awful to be in pain or sick in any way.

I watched the Trump convention al last week. It was good and I’ve changed from Democrat to Republican for the first time since I started voting in the ‘50s.

Elections were fun back then, and everyone enjoyed the day and so much of it was fun. Especially when the older men would get drunk on the alcoholic drinks. The candidates would give them to voters like they wanted them to. It was a bad way to get votes.

Some of the voters would stay all day until someone paid them to vote. It’s untelling who they voted for after all

Now we can’t stand around like that.

I called my cousin Juanita Elkins in Columbia, Ind., recently. She was telling me about everyone who was having problems with their health.

I am so sorry for all who are suffering. I’m praying God’s love will touch you and you can be well again.

I forgot to ask about my cousin James Cornett and she didn’t say.

We are all getting old and feeble, but God has been good to us in so many ways, and I thank Him so.

Rose Ballard wrote about coming to the big bluegrass festival on Kingscreek. Bill Meade and Larry Jones worked hard to get it together. I didn’t go stay to see and hear.

Randy, my son, doesn’t like to go to music shows, so we went to Whitesburg to Dairy Queen and had ice cream there.

I got to see Gary Joseph as he came to change into his cowboy boots and hat and I waved at him. His group is very good. Also, Will Caudill and Route 7 are good. There was a big crowd there, but we didn’t stay.

The park is hard to find. They need to mark the place where you go into the place. It is very nice, and if I was able I would help them. Maybe I will soon feel like it and help.

I love to be with friends I’ve known so long, and sometimes my feet want to dance like Rose Ballard said hers did. Being sick is sure a hard thing to live with.

I’m worried for Christine Fields having to move to Indiana. I hope she can find a way to stay. She writes so good. Let me hear from you. Call me at 606- 589-5078, or give me your phone number. If you still have some stuff to sell, maybe I may need something. I don’t know how to find your place.


My hands are so sore with arthritis I don’t write good enough for you to read. I hope I can get better with this.

I went to the eye doctor and they found I have cataracts and need to get them taken care of. It seems so scary to think about that, but I will get it done soon.

On Friday, July 28, it came a storm in the evening and the electricity went out, and we were left in the darkness for a few long hours. We were lucky. We had battery lanterns and lamps to use, but our well is a deep-drilled one and our water system went out.

I can’t imagine now what it was like when we didn’t have electricity, but we made it for years. We had spring water or dug wells to get our water and did your laundry in washtubs on a washboard. It was hard, but we didn’t know any other way back then.

I studied my schoolwork with a kerosene lamp. I had good eyesight at that time. I thank God for what we have today. The children these days would be lost because they wouldn’t have their computers, iPhones, Facebook and TV and all their new gadgets.

They stay in the house and don’t get out and play and exercise and grow fat and lazy. They are hurting their health by not exercising.

When I was in grade school I had to walk to school two miles, and we had a hand dug well. There was an old man who came to our house and stayed weeks.

Once my dad hired him to clean the wells. He had to draw all the water out and then climb down in the well about 30 feet, and clean the rocks that were walled up the sides of the well and get all the mud in the bottom.

He was a small, little man and could go down there. One time I remember him yelling, “Bully for Billy, by golly!” down in the well.

We children loved him. He would come several times a year and bring us candy and gum. He was a good person to all of us. His name was Billy Fallon.

“Bully for Billy Fallon!” He kept candy and gum in his coat pockets, pants pockets and shirt pockets. He was always loaded with goodies for the children.

That was his way to get a place to stay and eat and sleep. He was really homeless except for folks who would let him stay for a few days. He went to several homes that would let him stay. He grew old and got sick at someone’s home and died. All the children who knew him really grieved over his death.

I remember one time when one of my cousins came and he liked to play rough. Uncle Billy was there sitting on the porch and James Edward got me by the arm and with both of his hands, twirled them in different directions.

It hurt me so bad I was crying and telling him to stop, and Uncle Billy (that’s what we called him) got his walking sticks and told James to turn me loose or he would take his cane to him. So James knew he’d better stop. I sure was glad.

My son Roger called me from Illinois. They moved up there from Nashville, Tenn., area and have been getting settled in. They were doing good so far.

I have to get that cataract surgery soon. I am dreading it very much. It is scary to me.

I almost forgot to write that they sold my Grandpa D. D. Cornett’s 144-acre plot of property. I am sad about it, but I’m happy that my cousin Rick Jones was the lucky buyer.

I hope that he gets it all fixed up the way he wants it. The old homeplace is where Stephen Seagal made the movie The Fire Down Below a few years ago. A good movie.

It should be preserved, and I hope it will be.

Just when I was getting ready to take this to The Mountain Eagle my son, who is diabetic, got found in his bed in an almost coma. He was unresponsive and Randy checked his sugar and it was only 26. We worked at it and finally got Karo Syrup into him and some orange juice and called 91, and they came.

His sugar had got up to 48 and he was conscious enough to talk with them.

I was so frightened for him. They gave him some glucose and he got all right enough to not have to go to the hospital. I thank God for him getting better.

He has been a diabetic for 42 years. It has been a struggle to see him suffer so much.

I’d like to say hello to Glennon and Thelma Ison who live in Flemingsburg. Glennon was one of my classmates in high school at Kingdom Come High School. He was a good friend and a great ball player, as were Bob Akemon and Burton Cox and Coburn Ison. I was one of the cheerleaders and we loved each other so much.

Reba Goins, Vivian Huff and I were the cheerleaders. I loved to watch our team win, and they won so many games that none of the places wanted to see us coming to their school games.

That was in the 1940s, and our team was good, good, good. Whitesburg didn’t compare to our team, nor Stuart Robinson, Jenkins, Virgie and Haymond. I loved all the games not matter who won.

They always did their best, and that’s all that matters.

I will write again soon. Love to all, and talk to all later.

Leave a Reply