Seven state bridges in Letcher County will be cleaned this spring, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has announced. The work will be done one bridge at a time, with a week allotted for each structure, said Chuck Childers, Highway District 12 Section Engineer.
Intech Contracting of Lexington is responsible for the work, which involves cleaning the entire structure, top, sides and bottom, removing any debris or clogs in the bridge drainage area, and pressure washing to remove dirt and debris that have accumulated along the abutments and the expansion joints.
Each bridge will be reduced to one-lane traffic. Motorists should slow down on their approach to the work zones and be prepared to follow signs and directions from flaggers. Other than traffic slowing somewhat, there should not be any actual traffic delays.
The bridges included in the contract are not necessarily in the order in which they will be cleaned:
• KY 15 over Depot Street in Whitesburg (Jay White Bridge).
• KY 15 over North Fork at US 119 mile point 00.71 (Bypass near ARH).
• KY 15 over North Fork at US 119 mile point 00.43 (Tunnel Hill).
• KY 15 over North Fork at US 119 mile point 00.14 (Pine Mountain Junction).
• US 119 over North Fork at mile point 17.12 (first bridge going north after Pine Mountain Junction).
• US 119 over North Fork at mile point 18.70 (Friday Branch).
• US 119 over North Fork at KY 3410 mile point 20 (Mayking Mall).