Whitesburg KY

Christmas music, movies continue

Southern Ohio

Happy New Year everyone! We are having wonderful weather in this section of the Ohio Valley area.

I hope it stays this way for the next three months. We had over a week of cloudy, dreary days, at least it wasn’t snow. Then we had a couple of days of rain.

I hope everyone is safe and enjoyed the celebrations of another year. I’m still enjoying my beautiful Christmas tree as I was late getting it up. Hallmark is still showing Christmas movies, and I am enjoying those too.

One morning this week my son Keith Ballard came into the living room, laughing and saying he was going to change my TV channel, as they were playing Christmas music. I replied that he could go to his room, as he was grounded. Keith doesn’t like anything to do with Christmas.

Last week as I was writing my column, I became ill, and left out a portion that I had written and saved.

Mike and Marcia Caudill along with their daughter Megan had a delightful trip to New Orleans. Now I really should rephrase that statement, as Mike was a little under the weather. If I recall, not long ago when Mike and Marcia took another short vacation, Marcia wasn’t feeling good.

Thanks to Mike and Marcia I had shucky beans for Christmas dinner. Well, my son Keith had shucky beans, Keith could have made a meal with shucky beans. I did eat a few bites. I made sure that Ann Calihan had a small portion the day after Christmas. I am glad there was enough to share with Johnny.

I baked a stack cake, and I shared that with Ann and Johnny. Keith surprised me as he really liked the stack cake also.

I will be glad when March gets here as I am looking forward to Carcassonne Community Square Dance starting again.

I wanted so bad to head for the mountains to see Santa this year, even though I knew I was naughty and I knew he wouldn’t have a present for me.

It doesn’t seem possible another year has come and gone. I really hope the coming of a new year isn’t a continuation of the old one although most of the aggravation that I’ve gone through this year is of my own bad decisions.

I thank God that my health hasn’t declined more that it has. I really thank God with all my heart, when my daughter Anna Nottingham had a heart attack that it wasn’t fatal.

We go through life and take so much for granted. My heart aches for the parents that have lost a child, and for the child that have lost parents, even though they are grown and in years themselves.

They say time heals the loss, but I disagree, time helps however no amount of time heals.

Friday evening, Vicki Power and I went to Coon Hunter’s Club, as Marvin Davis was playing with Kentucky 31 Bluegrass band. It was really good to hear Marvin play that fiddle and sing.

New Year’s Eve, Vicki Power and I ventured back to the Coon Hunters Club to celebrate. Evan Lanier & The Bluegrass Express was the featured band.

This is a great band, except for one thing. They seemed to play every fast tune at breakneck speed. Evan plays claw hammer, which everyone who knows me, know this is my favorite. He even played that too fast.

Vicki and I made it until 10 p.m. After eating a cup of yogurt, I had to leave, as I became very sick. It was a disappointment for me to leave, as there were six of us that were together and we hadn’t been in a group together for several years. This was by accident as we didn’t know two were going to be there. Until I started feeling bad it really was a great time.

Saturday night, I ventured to Haddix Hall (formerly of Hunter’s Pizzeria). Special Delivery Band had a first reunion. The group consisted of Tony Hale, Bubba Griffin, Wayne Haddix, Gil Benson, and Johnny Wax. There was such a large crowd, they had to close the door and not allow any more people in.

I got to spend a little time with Les and Pat Wagner, along with Becky Hasty, and later Polly Hasty came in.

Polly’s nursing skills came in handy, as some man was dancing and fell. He wasn’t hurt, so everyone just kept dancing.

This is the first time I have gone there in a long time. It was good to see several people that I’ve not been in touch with for a long time. Vicki couldn’t go with me, so I made the trip alone.

Johnny and Ann Calihan are doing pretty well. Sue Wagner spent some time with my daughter Angie Wiederhold and Bennie. They went shopping then out for dinner at Friday’s. Bennie ate a steak and wanted Angie’s too. That kid can eat.

Well, I am running late with this column, so until next time. Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Rd., Harrison, Ohio 45030, email: Bluegrassmama4@aol.com.

Leave a Reply