Whitesburg KY
Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

Crosswalk is needed for deer crossing

Southern Ohio

Hello again everyone!

I hope you each had a wonderful Thanksgiving with or without a fancy dinner. Sometimes I think back to growing-up days, and Mom would not have known how to fix a turkey. Thanksgiving was just another day.

I can remember at Christmas, Mom would make a stack cake, but she made this delicious cake at other times too.

My growing-up years were sometimes unpleasant, but I will tell you one thing, we never knew what it was not to have food.

While talking to my brother Richie Hall, I started laughing and asked if he remembered ever peeling a raw potato, which was called an Irish potato, sprinkling a little salt on it and eating it. As children we loved placing the potatoes in the hot ashes of the fireplace to roast them.

Enough of my reminiscing and rambling.

I’m sure most of you have heard the silly Christmas song, ‘Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.’ One evening I was almost home, within 3 1/2 miles, when four or five deer ran across the road in front of my car. Thank God I didn’t hit them. As I started to resume speed, out of nowhere comes a deer and runs into my car.

It shocked me so bad I sat there stunned for a few seconds, not knowing what to do. I called the Hamilton County Police, and discovered I was almost out of battery on my cell phone. Then I had to go through a few seconds while the dispatcher told me there wasn’t a road called Bond Road connected to Lawrenceburg Road! I told her that I had lived on Lawrenceburg Road 38 years, and that I should know where I was!

Finally she said she would send a policeman. In the meantime here I sat in the road with my blinkers on. I did call my son Keith Ballard, who was too far to come help me. I shut my car off and left the blinkers and lights on. I tried to open my door but I couldn’t get out, so a 65-yearold chubby woman crawled across the console and the other seat and out the other side of my car.

When the police, arrived he told me that I hadn’t hit the deer, it actually had run into me. After the officer took the report I asked if he would be kind enough to follow me for a little way, minus the blue and red light flashing.

Then the fun began. My car wouldn’t start, so I called Keith and of course my cell phone went down before Keith could call me back. I told the officer to call a tow truck. A few seconds after the tow truck arrived, so did Keith. Towing is not cheap. It cost me $125 for a 3 ½- mile trip.

Again I am very thankful. It could have been much worse had I hit four or five deer. I have a crumbled left fender, it looks like my headlight is pushed in, and something happened that my car won’t start.

On my way home I had to laugh at the spot where my accident happened. There is a sign that says ‘Deer crossing next four miles.’ Maybe they should put up a crosswalk!

Gwen Huff Farmer has guests as it is once again deer season where Gwen lives. I sure wish her son and friends were here!

Now the waiting process begins as I wait for the adjuster to call me. I have full coverage so I am not out anything, even the tow bill. I have the van to fall back on, so I am not out of wheels.

But the ordeal isn’t stopping there. We had a very heavy frost so after the windows started to defrost on the van, I rolled the passenger window down. It was dark, so I didn’t see that it didn’t come back up, but as I was driving I felt cool air around my shoulders. When I got to the lighted area I saw the window down!

Once again I called Keith to see if he could repair it. In the meantime, it has rained all summer and it has poured for two days. I am not dumb, and I am self reliant. I got a huge garbage bag and covered my window, and though at first I couldn’t see, I found a way to fold the bag so I can still see out.

In the meantime Keith will fix the van window for me. As if that isn’t enough, as I was coming home Thursday afternoon a car had a flat tire and wasn’t off the busy highway. Of course a car was in the lane next to me, so I barely missed the disabled car. I believe I almost closed my eyes as I squeezed past!

I have something to share with you readers. Sometime ago I mentioned I had three grandchildren who were adopted. For 10 long years I have lived with a hole as big as the Grand Canyon in my heart.

I came home to find that my granddaughter, who is 20 years old now, had called me. I returned a call asking if I was Rosella Ballard on my answering machine. So this Thanksgiving and there’s a lot to be thankful for. Needless to say her dad, Keith, is really happy. Keith drove to Morehead to pick her up in record time.

I showed her a bicycle that I had bought for her 11 years ago. I could not stand to give it away.

Johnny and Ann Calihan had all their clan for a couple of Thanksgiving dinners as everyone couldn’t be together at one time. Their daughter Carol spent the night with them. It might have served a purpose as Johnny wears hearing aids so he didn’t have to listen to Ann and Carol’s laughter.

Thanksgiving is a memory as I finish his column, and this is the first time in several years I didn’t cook. It seems strange not to go to the refrigerator for banana pudding or pumpkin pie. A piece of peanut brittle will have to curb the desire for something sweet.

Larry Roark, I read on Facebook all the good food you stuff ed yourself with.

I stopped by Steak and Shake, but couldn’t decide what I wanted, and drove right through and came home to a TV dinner. Keith and Christina helped cook and serve at a church that Keith goes to, so Keith brought me a plate full enough for two people.

I have been very sick this week, and the children all had plans, so I helped my friend with her mother.

I went to the Coon Hunter’s Club for a little relaxation, and before I left the place I was having trouble speaking. Saturday morning I couldn’t speak above a whisper.

The doctor put me on something called a ‘z-pack’. I had a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. I don’t care what anyone says, every time I take this, I get sick!

I haven’t talked to very many people this week, so I hope everyone is alright.

As I watched people stand in line at the shopping centers this morning after being out in the rain all night, it looked as if it was snowing. It makes me wonder how many were at the free stores and food banks? It’s not worth going out in freezing rain and snow to buy toys!

I would love to take my little sidekick Bennie Wiederhold to see the train display downtown Cincinnati, but if I did he would want to bring them home with him. Bennie sees Legos on television and he is much too young for them.

My daughter Anna Nottingham awoke feeling sick, and when she took her blood sugar it was 44. She said she was up at 2 a.m. eating ice cream and chips trying to bring it up. When she went to the doctor, someone increased her insulin and she told them, “I don’t think so,” and asked them to check her reports, as she has to log everything.

Now Anna has to get up at 2 a.m. to check her blood sugar. Anna’s due date is Feb. 10, but Anna said the doctors will induce labor in January. I must say I will be glad when this ordeal is over with. I don’t know which is worse, having a baby of your own or watching a daughter who is having problems. I think watching her and knowing I can’t do anything.

I am sort of mad at her husband Scott, as he didn’t comply to my asking if I could drive that little red Porsche he has sitting in their garage. Scott told Anna that I couldn’t reach the gas pedal. She tried to convince him that it was just my size, but Scott says I need a Barbie pedal car. Just kidding, I do love this son-in-law.

My daughter Kay Gray is improving from her surgery. She thought she was going to get out of cooking as they were invited to friends’ for Thanksgiving dinner. Her two children, Jodi who is 21 and Jamie who is 17, wanted food she’d cooked. To be honest, so did her mom. Kay makes dressing that tastes like mine.

I have a funny tale to tell you. Kay was really surprised when she opened the turkey to fix it. She thought she was buying a small turkey, but when she got home and started the preparation, she said she bought a deformed turkey with no legs or wings. She had bought a turkey breast. Kay was disappointed, as she had no giblets to use for dressing.

My daughter Angie usually goes to her sister Anna’s, but decided to stay home this year. Oh well, it is just a memory now, and I’m glad it is over.

My brother Richie said he was up cooking all night and had baked several pies. I laughed and said, “You mean Wanda was up baking.” Wanda and some of her family are hitting the stores. I wonder if Wanda is looking for a chimney for my coal lamp that has ‘Home Sweet Home’ etched in the glass?

I did order the electric fireplace as it came on sale $100 cheaper than the day before. I really spent money for nothing as I had electric logs in my basement that look like real, though these don’t put off heat as the fireplace does!

Thanks for the visit and I will meet you again next week.

Until next time: Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Road, Harrison, Ohio 45030, email: Bluegrassmama4@ aol.com, telephone 513- 367-4682.

Leave a Reply