Good Housekeeping’s holiday gift to you: easy make-ahead French toast!
Bacon French-Toast Bake
1 loaf challah or brioche bread, cut into 1/2-inchthick slices (about 1 pound)
6 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (about 8 ounces)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 slices bacon, chopped
1. Leave bread slices spread out on rack or platter at room temperature at least 2 hours, or until slightly stale. Grease 3-quart baking dish.
2. Arrange bread in prepared baking dish, slightly overlapping. In large bowl, whisk eggs, half-and-half, Gruyere, 1/4 cup maple syrup, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper until combined. Pour all over bread in baking dish. With hands, press down on bread to submerge.
3. Cover baking dish with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
4. Preheat oven to 375 F. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle bacon all over top of bread mixture. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and set. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup before serving. Serves 10.
• Each serving: About 410 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated), 18g protein, 33g carbs, 655mg sodium. ©2016 Hearst Communications