Here are the events scheduled for this month at the Hemphill Community Center and Senior Citizens Center:
• Weekly: Tuesday at 10:30 a.m., we will be doing exercises to help combat arthritis.
• Weekly: Wednesday at 10:30 a.m., we will be playing Bingo.
All seniors in the Hemphill and Boone Fork area are encouraged to come to the Hemphill Center as the Boone Fork Center is now closed. The Hemphill Center is open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekdays. Lunch is served from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Hemphill seniors will travel to Norton, Va., for Best Friend’s Day on June 11.
• Hemphill seniors will attend the Prom at Jenkins Senior Citizens Center on June 19.
• We will attend the Potluck Picnic at Fishpond Lake at Payne Gap on June 26.
The performers for Friday night music at the Hemphill Center (from 7:30 p. m. to 10: 30 p. m.) this month include:
• Friday June 13: The best in classic country music with The Country Troubadours
• Friday June 20: Cross Country Bluegrass
• Friday June 27: Dawson Creek
Aspiring singers and musicians who want to share their talents are invited to play during intermission on Friday nights. The target audience is bluegrass/ country/folk. Limit two songs per individual/ group until all who wish to pick have had a turn. Rotation as time allows.
You will always find a kind and receptive crowd at the Hemphill Center. We have some veteran musicians playing in featured bands who played their first public appearance as a novice on our stage. This is an opportunity to break the ice and get your feet wet, so to speak.
Friday nights at the center offer family fun for all ages. Kids get in free when accompanied by an adult. Come and enjoy good food, good music, and good fellowship.
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones — Proverbs 17:21-23