Whitesburg KY

Every day of life is a blessing, gift from God

Since my last article I have had quite a trying time.

On Oct. 25, I went to my lung doctor. While weighing in, it was discovered that the bottom of my heart was almost not working at all, causing my pulse to be very erratic. Since I have congestive heart problems, I didn’t know what was going on.

The doctors had tried for over a month to get me to agree to be admitted to a hospital. Anyone who knows me knows that I am allergic to hospitals, not that I don’t trust them, I just don’t like to be confined to one, so I had refused to be admitted. But this time he looked me in the eye and informed me that I was going to the hospital.

I got a reprieve for six days to take care of some personal matters, but on Oct. 31 I went from Mountain Comp to Whitesburg ARH. I spent the night there and nothing changed, so on Nov. 1, I took an ambulance ride to Central Baptist in Lexington.

On Nov. 2, I had my fourth heart catherization, where they found that a stent installed in my heart about three years ago was totally blocked. It was removed and another one installed. After it was over, I told the doctor that I thought a stent had a lifetime guarantee. I don’t think he appreciated my sense of humor since I had come so close to death.

Seriously, I am very thankful to just be alive, and I thank God that I got another chance to try to cheer someone up along life’s pathway. Some don’t get a second chance.

Except for my lungs, I feel the best I have in a long time and I can get around without my cane now. When we have good health, we don’t really appreciate it. Life can end in a second, but I thank God for each day He gives me. I try to use each day to cheer up others and get them to realize that each day of life is a blessing and a gift from God.

The doctor told me as he was preparing to discharge me that I shouldn’t lift over 10 pounds for two weeks. So I told him I would sure have to get me a smaller plate to eat from. He just smiled at that wisecrack because he knew I would be following a strict diet and the joke was on me. I thank God for each day He gives me and I don’t ask for another one because I know I don’t deserve the one I received.

I received professional and considerate care at Mountain Comp, Whitesburg ARH, and Central Baptist Hospital, also from the ambulance service. The doctor at Central Baptist wasn’t too eager to discharge me because my pulse was around 120 to 128 and my blood pressure was under 100. I told him I would be just fine as soon as I got out of their parking lot on my way home, but it didn’t get on track until Nov. 5.

I got discharged on the afternoon of Nov. 3. Sometimes it doesn’t pay to be so stubborn and unyielding, especially in matters of life and death. My stubborn attitude could very well have caused my demise.

My roommate at Central Baptist was an unintentional comedian who was having a nicotine fit continuously it seemed. He put his clothes on and tried to sneak downstairs to smoke a cigarette via the elevator. In a few minutes, he was back. The next time he tried going down the stairs. A short time later a nurse pushed him into the ward in an office chair.

His sister arrived to take him home and he told her he wouldn’t smoke over eight cigarettes on the way home. She told him he wasn’t smoking in her car, and he said he would just ride in the trunk and smoke. He had just got his fifth stent and wasn’t willing to quit smoking.

I had a lot of time to think things over on the ambulance ride down there and on the operating table, because within 10 minutes after arriving I heard “Code Blue cath lab 8” over and over. It suddenly dawned on me that the next Code Blue may be on my behalf. Up to that point, I really hadn’t realized the danger I was in. The next Code Blue was for the ER and I began wishing I was someplace else. Anyplace.

Leave a Reply