Whitesburg KY

Fall is making an early appearance

Southern Ohio

Hello again! I do believe fall weather is here in late July. I don’t recall a summer as short as this one. There’s one thing for sure, I could live the rest of my life in the kind of weather we are having now as it is perfect for me.

I overheard a woman say she turned her furnace on for a little while as it was so cold. I almost told her that I had never removed my electric blanket from my bed, and I probably won’t at this late date!

I have been on the road again! I know that soon it will be winter, so I am using the old phrase ‘make hay while the sun shines’ or the old cliché that I have been hearing so much lately from people who aren’t able to go that says you better go while you can as there will come a time that you can’t.

After a very busy week and feeling sort of tired I decided I wasn’t going anywhere, just staying home and getting some much needed things done! I made the mistake of turning on the computer and being reminded of the Red Lick Bluegrass Festival at Irvine that Ma Crow & The Lady Slippers were playing in.

Since I really didn’t have anything pressing here at home, once again the mountains of Tennessee seemed to be calling me and the mountains of eastern Kentucky seemed to be calling to me, too.

Friday evening found me sitting in the auditorium in the Mountains Art Center in Prestonsburg. Early the next morning I drove through different parts of the mountains, was very tempted to go on to Whitesburg. I knew if I got that far I wouldn’t go to the festival.

Finally I ended up in Irvine. I had breakfast at McDonald’s along with two older guys. Then a few more guys came in. I really don’t think women stirred that early as there wasn’t a female around except the workers at McDonald’s.

It was a beautiful day for the festival. The music was good, and I saw several people that I haven’t seen in quite a few years from northern Kentucky.

As Ma Crow and the Lady Slippers came on stage, a woman who was sitting behind me very gently touched my arm and asked me if was I part of the band. I laughed and said no, and she proceeded to tell me that I looked like a sister to them. I just laughed and said maybe I had been around them too much.

During the evening show, I started feeling wimpy. I noticed my feet were swelling so I knew it was time for me to head back towards home. I didn’t stay for the late shows. It is very unusual for me to leave until the strings are plucked, and then lots of times I am talking to someone.

Just a few minutes after I left the festival there was a torrential downpour that caused several drivers including me to pull off the highway as the wipers on the car could not handle all the water, plus visibility was so dim. Had there been a motel someplace, you better believe I would have pulled in and spent the night.

I had no cell phone service while I was there. When I got into a service area, I had a message from Gwen Huff Farmer, but by then the battery was almost dead on my cell phone. I have misplaced my car charger someplace.

Sunday morning, Norma Ashcraft called me to remind me of the O.K.I. meeting in Fairborn. At first I said I was skipping it as I was tired. Once again I changed my thinking, and I am really glad I did.

As lots of you know I love to dance, fast dancing free style. I am not very good at slow dancing.

I danced with Norma’s Uncle Howard who is a World War II veteran. Howard is almost 90 years old, and he is as agile on his feet as a 20 year old and as alert. I have fast danced with Howard several times, and if no one dances with Howard, he hits the floor and dances alone.

I am so pleased I had the pleasure to be in this elderly gentleman’s company. As we danced, which actually felt like gliding, Howard sang to me, and he is a very good singer.

I needed this as it was just what the doctor ordered for me, a day of magic.

On my way from Fairborn, I made a phone call then paid a visit to Bill and Betty Kelly’s in Franklin. It had been some time since I had stopped there, and I had planned to do this for some time.

Betty is a true mountain girl, and was I in for a treat as she had made homemade apple pies. What Betty didn’t know is I almost bought one at McDonald’s as I stopped for a drink while I was calling her. It was such a wonderful visit I really hated to leave.

When I first got there Betty and Bill were watching a program on television about Kentucky. Betty has a beautiful house and a front porch, and has hummingbird feeders on her porch and there were a couple of birds that decided to get a few drinks.

Belated happy birthday to my granddaughter, Sarah Nottingham, who was 15 on July 29. Sarah is such a sweet granddaughter. She spent a week at Morehead at band camp for Beechwood High School’s marching band.

I am planning on going to spend a little time with Sarah for her birthday. Maybe Sarah, Jessica and Katelyn will send a few days with me.

I haven’t seen my little sidekick Bennie Wiederhold in a few weeks so it is about time I slow down and go get him.

Hello to my brother Jerry and Mattie Hall and my sister-in-law Wanda Hall.

I haven’t been in touch with Johnny or Ann Calihan this week. I do know their daughter Sue Wagner has been helping Johnny and Ann make pickles.

Ma Crow and the Lady Slippers will be at Hunter’s Pizzeria so I hope I will get to see Les and Pat Wagner along with Larry and Becky Hasty and their daughter Polly.

The Sunrise Ridge Bluegrass Band will be at Campbell’s Branch Community Center, Friday night. I wish I could make this, but it is Old Time Fiddlers time, which meets the first Sunday of each month in the basement of the Miamitown Fire Department starting at 1:30 p.m. Refreshments are available.

Well folks, I am sorry this column isn’t very interesting. Until next time, Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Road, Harrison, Ohio 45030, email: Bluegrassmama4@aol.com, telephone: 513- 367-4682.

Leave a Reply