Whitesburg KY

Family plans camping reunion

Hello everyone, I hope you have had a good week. To me, August is going quickly. Before you know it, we’ll have that four-letter “S” word here. Yes, I mean snow.

Mike and I made a quick trip to Ohio on Tuesday and Wednesday this past week. We went to Hueston Woods State Park to look at their campground. We’re setting up a camping reunion weekend with Mike’s family. We stayed with our son, Mark, for one night. Another son, Brad, and Becky came over for a cookout that Tuesday. It was a quick trip, but fun.

Since we’ve been home, all of the reservations for the camping trip have been made. We’re looking forward to camping.

We did eat at Skyline Chili while in Ohio. It’s enjoyable to eat at places that you don’t get to very often. They always have quick service and it doesn’t hold up our traveling.

When we got home from Ohio we discovered that John and Faye Campbell were fixing dinner for us. They made a steak dinner for us and it was delicious. Mark Myles also ate dinner with John and Faye that evening. There was a blackberry cobbler for dessert. We all appreciated this meal.

Mike was outside one evening and heard a loud crunching noise and Buddy, my brother’s dog, was barking at something on the hillside. Mike saw part of a large bear through the trees. Mike came to get me and I went out. I didn’t see the bear but I heard the noise. I went back in to get my camera and by the time I got back out, the bear was gone. Buddy had gone up on the hillside and he quickly came down and walked home. Mike checked on Buddy to make sure he wasn’t injured and he was fine. The bear continued on down the creek via the hillside. Mike said it was the biggest bear he had ever seen. Buddy has stayed closer to home this week after that bear encounter.

Mark and Ella Caudill’s dog, Ziggy, was injured by a bear. The dog went outside and something happened. Ziggy was cut up and had to have surgery. The veterinarian told them it was probably a bear. Poor Ziggy has to have 40 stitches all around the back of his neck down to his shoulder. It was scary for Ziggy, and Mark and Ella. After recovery, Ziggy should be fine.

My sister, Susan Ware of Lexington, came in for the weekend. She got here Friday morning. We had a good visit and she plans to do a longer visit sometime.

Michael Campbell of Newport, surprised his dad, John Campbell, by coming in on Saturday. He had stopped at his sister’s house and picked up his niece and nephew, Addison and Myles Marr. Addison and Myles came in to spend the weekend with their “Pa and Nan.”

Roger and Tracey Yonts of Dawsonville, Ga. came in to visit his parents, Duane and Anna Yonts of Little Cowan. I didn’t get to see them on this trip but I saw a picture of Roger and Duane on Facebook.

Jeff Vice of Flemingsburg stopped by over the weekend. He came in to catch up on mowing and chores for their place on Kingdom Come. It was good seeing him.

Linda Lucas and Candra Banks Leach of Tennessee came in for the weekend. Verna Rayburn and Kevin Rayburn of Liberty were also in for the weekend. I did get to see all of them at church on Sunday.

A cousin, Ernie Ison, stopped by John’s house Saturday afternoon and we had a wonderful visit. We all sat on John’s porch and talked. We had quite a group out there: John and Faye Campbell, Susan Ware, Ernie Ison, Michael Campbell, Myles Marr, Addison Marr, Mike and I. Ernie said it was so nice to sit and talk and not have anyone check their phones. It was an enjoyable visit.

We’re sending a happy anniversary wish to our son and daughter-in-law, Mark and Heather Wenning of Monroe, Oh. They are celebrating 10 years on Aug. 14.

The social media quote of the week is: It’s better to look back on life and say, “I can’t believe I did that,” than to look back say “I wish I had done that.”

Please send any news to Cowannews@aol.com.

Have an enjoyable week.

Leave a Reply