I discovered a delicious recipe for Pasta with Sardines and Lemon Caper Sauce. This budget-friendly recipe is packed with flavor. It’s the perfect dish for feeding and serving a crowd during the holidays.
Pasta With Sardines
And Lemon Caper Sauce
8 ounces angel hair (capellini)
or spaghetti pasta
7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive
oil, plus more for drizzling
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 package (about 4.3 ounces)
imported sardines, in pure olive
oil, drained and oil reserved
1/2 medium onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed
red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
1/4 cup lemon juice, plus 3
tablespoons for sprinkling
3 tablespoons fresh parsley or
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving a cup of the pasta cooking water. Rinse pasta under cool water for a moment or two to keep the noodles loose. Reserve.
2. In a large skillet or saute pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add the Panko breadcrumbs and toast until lightly browned and crunchy, stirring occasionally. Remove breadcrumbs to a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
3. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil and the reserved sardine oil to the pan and turn the heat to medium.
4. Once the olive oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, lemon zest, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent (watch carefully so that mixture doesn’t burn).
5. Add the sardines and capers to the pan. Saute for about 2 minutes until warmed through, breaking up sardines into smaller pieces as you saute. When the sardines begin to turn golden, slowly stir in the lemon juice.
6. Add the cooked pasta and freshly chopped parsley or basil to the pan. Toss pasta to evenly coat with sauce, mixing well with the other ingredients. If the pasta seems too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta cooking water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to loosen it a bit.
7. The pasta should not be thick or heavy, the noodles should be lightly coated with oil. Add additional salt, pepper, pepper or chili pepper flakes to taste, if desired. Top with the breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of lemon juice. Serve hot. Serves 4. ©2017 King Features Synd. and Angela Shelf Medearis