Once again the Letcher County Extension Office and Extension Homemaker Clubs will be sponsoring the Mountain Heritage Festival Arts and Crafts Contest. Entry information is included below and you may call the County Extension Office at 633-2362 if you have questions.
The entries must be brought to the Extension Office, 478 Extension Drive in Whitesburg on Sept. 22 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
There is no entry fee. No person may enter more than one item in each category. Exhibits are to be picked up by 3 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 29.
Categories for baskets
Fireside, Flower or Waste Basket
Any other basket
Categories for needlework
1. Knitting: a). Afghan knitted b). Hand knitted sweater c). Miscellaneous knitting
2. Crochet: a). Tablecloth crocheted b). Afghan, crocheted c). Afghan, granny-square pattern d). Crocheted sweater e). Crocheted dollies f ). Miscellaneous crochet
3. Needlepoint: a). Pictured, framed b). Purse or bag c). Pillow, stuffed
4. Counted Cross-Stitch: a). Any article on 11-14- 16 count aida cloth (not framed) b). Any article on specialty fabric such as linen (not framed) c). Most attractive picture on 11-14- 16 count aida (framed) d). Most attractive picture on 18 count aida (framed) e). Most attractive picture on specialty fabric (framed)
Miscellaneous Needlepoint: a). Crewel Embroidery, pillow stuffed b). Crewel Embroidery, wall hanging or picture c). Any other Crewel Embroidery d). Most attractive article in chicken scratch e). Most attractive article in candle wicking f ). Any article in needlepoint on plastic canvas g). Any other article in stitchery
Categories for woodcrafts:
(Woodcrafts – none from kits allowed.)
1. Birdhouse – Finished (such as painted, stained, etc.)
2. Birdhouse – Non-finished (such as sanded, no laquor, natural
All birdhouses can be no larger than 16 inches wide, 16 inches in depth, and 13.5 inches high.
3. Whittled items
4. Small items decorated by wood burning technique.
5. Other small wood crafts
Christmas crafts/holiday decorations:
These could be tree ornaments, small holiday centerpieces or door arrangements.
Items re-made or recycled for use for home décor or for holiday decorations.
Scrapbooking has become quite popular as a hobby and so it was added as an entry division for 2013. There were 30 entries.
Scrapbooking categories are: 1. Heritage Layout 2. Family Layout 3. Collage Layout 4. Miscellaneous Layout 5. Children’s (for kids 12 and under)
Layout example: vacation, sports, baby/children, heritage/family
Adults may have an entry in all 4 categories if you wish. Please limit each entry to one page back and front or two pages on one side each.