A quilt contest will once again be part of the Letcher County Mountain Heritage Festival. Any Letcher County resident can enter the contest and quilts must be entered at the County Extension Office in Whitesburg on Monday, September 23 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. There is no entry fee. The Extension Office is located at 478 Extension Drive in Whitesburg.
Categories for the contest will be: 1) Appliqué 2) Embroidery 3) Pieced (patchwork) 4) Baby quilts 5) Miscellaneous 6) Oldest quilt (age verified by owner) and 7) Wall hanging.
General rules for the quilt contest
1. All quilts (except for the oldest) must have been completed within the last three years and must be clean and in good condition.
2. All quilts must be twin size or larger (except for baby quilts) and hand quilted. Identify quilt pattern when entering.
3. The individual quilt maker must do all work on the quilt.
4. Work can be pieced by hand or machine, but appliqué and quilting must be done by hand.
5. Each individual may enter no more than one quilt per category.
We would like for you to leave your quilts on display until September 27 and they should be picked up by 3 p.m. on Monday, September 30.
For more information, contact Ann Bradley, County Extension Agent at the County Extension Office, 478 Extension Dr. Whitesburg, Ky. 41858 or call 633- 2362.