Whitesburg KY
Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

File FAFSA early to get state grants

Kentucky students planning to attend an in-state college or university beginning in fall 2012 should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after Jan. 1. Filing early increases a student’s chance of receiving a state needbased grant administered by the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA). The FAFSA is available at www.fafsa.gov.

Students attending Kentucky colleges and universities may qualify for College Access Program (CAP) Grants. To qualify, a student must show financial need and be enrolled for at least half-time toward an associate’s or bachelor’s degree. The maximum CAP Grant award is currently $1,900 per year.

Students attending most of Kentucky’s private colleges and universities may qualify for a CAP Grant and a Kentucky Tuition Grant ( KTG). KTG awards are based on the same criteria as CAP Grants. The maximum KTG award is cur- rently $2,964 per year.

Funding for CAP and KTG is limited, with awards made to qualifying students on a first-come, first-served basis. Award amounts may change based on available funding.

For more information about CAP and KTG, visit www.kheaa.com and click on “Grant Programs for Kentucky Residents” under Students and Parents or Adult Learners. You may also e-mail grants@kheaa.com.

To learn how to plan and prepare for higher education, go to www.gotocollege. ky.gov. For more information about Kentucky scholarships and grants, visit www.kheaa.com; write KHEAA, P.O. Box 798, Frankfort, KY 40602; or call (800) 928-8926, ext. 6-7372.

Leave a Reply