Burdine Postmaster Teresa Kelly said faulty wiring in an outlet has been ruled as the cause of a Friday night fire which caused damage to the inside of the post office.
Kelly, who did not want to be directly quoted, said it will take a construction crew six to eight weeks to clean up the damage and repair the inside of the Burdine Post Office.
“They are going to go in, tear out some walls and build them back in,” said Jenkins Postmaster Charlene Belcher.
Kelly said renovation plans include new drywall on walls and ceilings as well as new floor tile and heat pumps.
Kelly said the fire happened around 8:05 p.m. on May 21 and the Jenkins police and volunteer fire department responded quickly. She said the fast response by police and firefighters helped save the building from further damage.
Kelly said an apartment located above the post office received extensive smoke damage.
The 125 customers of the Burdine Post Office can pick their mail up at the Jenkins Post Office until repairs are complete.
Kelley said if customers need anything, they are welcome to stop by the Jenkins Post Office and ask for assistance.