Whitesburg KY

Fire safety measures can save your life

One structure fire was reported every 66 seconds in the U.S. in 2009, according to the National Fire Protection Association. To maintain a fire-safe home and keep your family safe this winter, follow these tips.

If you are using kerosene heaters, be sure your heater is in good working condition. Clean off the carbon that may have built up around the exhaust parts. Be sure the heater has an emergency shutoff in case the heater gets tipped over.

Use only the fuel the manufacturer recommends and keep the kerosene in approved metal containers in well-ventilated areas outside of the house.

Never fill a heater while it is operating or is hot. Avoid overfilling and remember that cold fuel may expand in the tank as it warms up, causing overflow. Refuel outside in case of spillage.

Make sure young children stay away from space heaters.

If you use a fuel-burning appliance like a kerosene heater anywhere in the house, make sure there is proper ventilation to prevent a buildup of deadly carbon monoxide. This is especially important in closed rooms like bedrooms. The heater’s owner’s manual should give instructions, or ask your local fire department.

Choose UL-listed wood stoves. Make sure the clearance from walls and other combustible material, including combustible floors, meets local building codes. In some places this may be 36 inches, but there are rules about wall and floor materials. Be sure to consult your county building inspector or local fire department.

Annually have the chimney professionally inspected for creosote buildup and leaks and repair when necessary. This should not be taken lightly; your family’s safety depends on it.

Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening to prevent embers or sparks from popping out on the floor. Store discarded ashes in a metal container and place outside away from the house.

Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide. Since carbon monoxide is odorless, you could fall asleep and not wake up.

Before you go to sleep, put out fireplace fire. Never close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace. Hot ashes and embers give off lethal carbon monoxide just like charcoal.

Get your furnaces regularly inspected. Change filters often. Ensure that all furnace controls and emergency shutoff s are working. Have qualified specialists repair your furnace.

Inspect the walls and ceiling near the furnace and along the chimney line. If the wall is hot or discolored, additional pipe insulation or clearance may be required.

Keep trash and other combustibles away from any heating system.

Never use a range or an oven as a supplemental heating device. They are not designed for this. Gas ovens give off fumes, which over long periods of time can be toxic.

Avoid using electrical space heaters in bathrooms or other areas where they may come in contact with water.

If there is a fire hydrant near your home, help the fire department by keeping the hydrant clear of obstacles and in easy view. Not only is this important in case of fire, but often is the law.

Make sure every level of your home has a working smoke alarm with fresh batteries.

Plan and practice a home safety plan with your children. Include a meeting place outside of the house at a safe distance. Explain to children that smoke rises and they should stay low to the floor as they escape.

To learn more about fire safety, contact Letcher County Cooperative Extension Service at 633-2362.

Leave a Reply