Whitesburg KY
Mostly clear
Mostly clear

Friendship was made over the phone

Northeast Ohio

Good morning everyone.

It is a cloudy, cool morning here but hopefully the sun will make an appearance and will bring some warmth. I’m ready for a lot of warm weather.

Not been a very good week around here. Got a call Monday morning informing me that a much loved friend had made her final move to her new home. I never got to meet Nellie Banks in person, but we had called and written for several years.

We both grew up in Letcher County and both were daughters of coal miners. We really had a lot in common and anytime we got on the phone we raised our families, cooked, sewed, make quilts, raised gardens, canned, dried and pickled produce and anything that was country.

I shall truly miss her and I just want to tell her family how sorry I am for their loss. I want to thank her daughter Kathleen Axsom for calling me. Nellie had to give up housekeeping and was living with Kathleen. My love and prayers are with the family.

Red isn’t doing too well right now. Last week he said he needed new glasses as his vision was really blurry, so we made an appointment for Monday.

It wasn’t new glasses he needed because tomorrow he has to see a retina specialist as there is bleeding. It seems as if there is no end to the things that can go wrong. As for me, I’m doing fair to middling. Whatever that is.

I just called Jeanie, and they were getting ready to have breakfast. I think I’ll go down and join them as they are having biscuits, gravy, steak and eggs. My mouth is so ready for a meal like that, but I cannot stand long enough to stir gravy and would probably ruin a good steak.

Patsy Newsome called, and she’s such a sweet young woman. I love talking with her.

I want to say “hello” and hope you are doing well to my brother, Henry Warren of Murray. He just had a knee replacement and once it’s healed he will have the other one done.

I got an invitation to a shower for great-great-grandson. I’ll soon have a quilt finished. I didn’t piece one as I knew I could not finish in time, so it’s a printed one with not much work to do. It just lacks going around edges and hemming. I would much rather make one from the beginning, but one does what one must.

How are the gardens down your way? They’re not like usual around here.

I talked to Georgia, and she said she and Richard would most likely stop by tonight.

Well, when you read this, Mother’s Day will be over and I hope all mothers and stepmothers had a grand day.

Red’s niece, Carleta Adams of Eolia, called this afternoon. I answered the phone but couldn’t talk as I was coughing too much. I had been down for a nap and I do believe a bug attacked me. At least I didn’t taste anything, so it must have been a good bug.

I want to say hello to all my Sergent family, Engle family, and all the really nice people I met at Antioch Church in Louisville, Dottie (Kiser) Bentley, cousin Greta (Taylor) Joseph all of Louisville, and to all the great friends I have met through The Mountain Eagle.

I really wish I could keep up with writing but every time I make plans to do so something else happens. Someday!

Better get this finished before my secretary shows up. That is one busy gal, but I don’t know what we’d do without her. She mows our lawn and picks up groceries whenever I really need some.

Same time, same place next week.

In the meantime, have a grand week, stay well and share a smile with someone. Love and prayers to all.

Emma Lou Engle, 4801 Clifton Ave., Lorain, OH 44055, emmalouengle@yahoo.com.

Leave a Reply