Whitesburg KY

Grandmas were right – trouble does come in 3’s


We awoke to a hot, humid, stormy day here in the Carolinas. Every day it is a blazing sun. I have two air conditioners and three fans going and am still hot. My body isn’t taking the heat as well as usual.

I sure hated to hear of Hobart Elkins’s death. He was a nice man. The last time I saw him was the coal mines in Benham when I had a plaque placed for my dad, Hiram Maggard, on the miners’ wall many years ago.

It was a quiet time here for July 4. I didn’t see any fireworks this year.

They say the bad times occur in three’s. It certainly seems so. Some old grandma sayings are true. First my little Yorkie was put to sleep, then my best friend for 40 years called me June 16 and needed a home so I went June 17 to Wilson, N.C. She was given one month, if that long, to live and she wanted to be with me. I turned my living room into a hospital room and Hospice took over. She was with me two weeks and two days. She died on July 2.

North Carolina

She was the first friend that I met when I moved here from Michigan. We remained friends until death. She was 67 and had no relations. She was bedfast and wasn’t able to travel, so her pastor, Sister Alma Rayburn of Lumberton, N.C., came and we had service at home. She was very happy and talked of the days of her youth. She seemed to have no pain and ate well. She had ordered cable for her TV.

On July 2 I got up and went to look on her. She seemed fast asleep. I went to the kitchen and made her pudding and coffee for myself, and sat down in her room. She seemed to be sleeping for a long time. I think I said a few words to her and when the cable man came I led him to her room.

Pete got up and I thought, “My goodness, she is sleeping.” I reached over and she was cold. I checked and one arm and leg were warm. I called Hospice and the nurse came.

I helped prepare her for the funeral home. Through it all, I stood fast. With all the preparation, God supplied me strength. I had a good two weeks with my best friend. We were friends until the end.

A minister’s life is stressful. I have been called to anoint the dying, pray for people. I am teaching adult Sunday School.

Pete and I went to Bro. and Sister Evans’s homecoming in Wilmington. They had a wonderful gathering and local singing. The food was delicious. We came home and got out of the car and heard popping and cracking behind the house. I told Pete that Bill must be burning. We looked and his camper and the woods were on fire. The camper was burned and Bill was trying to keep the gas tanks from exploding. The phone line was burned so Pete had to go to the fire department. Fifteen firemen came and got the fire out.

For all bad things, some good things happen. Fifteen snakes from under the camper fled to the woods, all but one king snake. He still roams in the back I suppose.

For myself, I will be pleased to see July go.

My grandchildren, Caleb and Alizah Simpson, went to Disney World and really enjoyed their vacation. They are on Bald Head Island now at camp. They are studying turtle habitat and sea world. Their mom and dad are in Key West, Fla., scuba diving. The whole family love the water and the ocean. Not me, it makes me seasick.

I will be going way down into the Mexican mountains in March or April next year. Four sisters are planning on going for a revival. I will be going back to Rio de Lobo.

You take the road to my brother’s house on Albright Road and you will see this extra nice variety store. Stop in and say hi to Greg and Angel Caison and children Rodney, Danielle, Corey, and Angel Mae. Greg is the son of my first cousin, Judy Maggard Caison of Bolivia, N.C., daughter of the late Grace and Rob Maggard. They had a nice grand opening, good chicken and fixings. Judy is a good cook. The store has a lot of nice things and will expand. It has a window for drive-through and plenty of parking space. The store is needed and I personally wish them to prosper. To my surprise, little Donald Hoag works there. All of those little children are grown; my, I feel older already.

I love these older homes and I saw in the paper where a 200- year-old home is being restored. It is the oldest home in Calabash, N.C.

I was really pleased to see the picture of Rose Ballard Durham and Emma Sergent Engle. Rose, keep up that high spirit and zany way. It will keep you going. Emma, I like your beginnings of your column. Keep up the good work.

This is for Elsie Banks of Cowan: Hope you are having better health. Thanks for the picture of the tie quilt. I enjoy your column as my late sister did. Your column was the first one she read. The Mountain Eagle would not be the paper that it is without our columns. So a big hello to all three ladies.

W.O.R.K. – We work so that we may get bread. We get bread so that we may live. We live so that we may live for ourselves and please ourselves, but so that we may live for God and please Him. We work so that we may fill up time, and fill up a place in the world, and because God, who has made and maintained us, has appointed for us to work with quietness and to mind our own business.

Hello, Vernon and Connie.

From the Smiths and critters: Take care and remember your friends in prayer.

Gladys Smith, 393 Danford Rd. SE, Bolivia, N.C. 28422.

Leave a Reply