Whitesburg KY

Heat better than cold, ice, snow

Happy summer everyone! I hope all the dads had a great Father’s Day with lots of celebration. It is a hard day for me after all these years of Dad being gone.

I do believe summer has arrived a few days early, as we are having very hot temperatures. I am not complaining, as I rather have this than the cold, ice, and snow.

I finally found an air conditioner for my son Keith’s room, although it is a portable and still needs a vent. Keith had to run it through the floor register then through a door that leads to a small storage space under part of the house.

At least he has air conditioning as I only have a large picture window in his old room, and I had it changed years ago. If I live until next year I may see about having central air put in. Right now I have too many things on my plate to be too concerned about an air conditioner; I can always use a fan.

My window air conditioner is over 20 years old, and of course it is just used about three months each year. Everything wears out in time, even me.

My niece Sue Hall and her husband Mart Hall, along with their granddaughter Brooke and Izzy, have been vacationing at Vandalia, close to Dayton.

Saturday morning I went on another adventure as Sue invited me up to spend some time with them. At first I hesitated as I wasn’t feeling very good and it has been a few years since I have driven to Dayton, plus this car is still new to me and I am not completely comfortable with it for one reason or another.

I finally finished with some things I had to do and headed north to Vandalia. It really was a nice drive and Mart gave me explicit directions to the exit nearest to the motel, and then I got on Mapquest and got the rest. Everything was great until I realized I left the last steps at home lying on my computer desk. I was within walking distance and didn’t see the Super 8 motel sign.

Sue had done some research on her phone about a boat ride. She typed in Dayton, Ohio and without paying attention that it was Dayton, Kentucky, so Mart and Sue decided to drive back to B&B Riverboats so we could go on a cruise.

Southern Ohio

I drove almost 75 miles to ride back to almost where I started from to go on a riverboat cruise. It was worth it to spend time with Sue and the family.

Before I got to the motel, Mart, Sue and the kids went to Wright Patterson Air Force Museum. When I arrived at Super 8 Motel, I called Sue. Mart came to pick me up and take me to the museum. I’d never been there, and this is an amazing place. You really need almost all day to see everything. Mart and Sue both enjoy seeing planes, and they have so much in common. Mart is very patient to be around.

The riverboat cruise was wonderful, although it was one of the hottest days we’ve had in several years.

Izzy is three years old and really enjoyed the boat ride. This little stinker doesn’t forget anything. Izzy calls Mart ‘Mot,’ as she can’t pronounce Mart. She looked at me and said, “That’s my Mot Mot.” Well I teased her back and replied, “That’s my Mot Mot.”

Saturday, Izzy climbed in a chair next to me on the riverboat, said, “Rosella, I will share Mot Mot with you.” Oh my heart burst with love for this little red-haired girl. I said, “I love you Izzy,” and she replied, “I love you too, Rosella.” She has forgotten my name a couple of times and called me Cinderella.

Sue’s granddaughter April is a special young girl. This is the first time that I have spent time with 12- year old-Brooke, and hope it isn’t the last as I enjoyed being with her.

Who says you can’t teach an old dog, new tricks? As I was sitting on a bench outside of the motel waiting for Mart, I decided to put my purse in the trunk of the car, as I didn’t feel comfortable sitting in a strange place holding my purse.

When Mart pulled up, I hopped in his car with my cell phone and car keys in my hand. Mart drove several miles and I discovered what I had done, along with leaving my medicines, and bottle of orange juice and a peanut butter sandwich in case my sugar dropped.

Sue told me not to worry about money, but I did sneak the money back in Sue’s purse when we got back to my car. Thanks for a wonderful afternoon.

About 30 years ago, Jack and I belonged to a square dance club, and several clubs got together and reserved the B&B Riverboat for a square dance cruise. Now that was an experience that I will never forget, trying to dance and not fall down as the boat moved.

My sympathy goes out to the family of Carl Burton, who passed away on Father’s Day. Alan used to be a member of Clayton Durham & Bluegrass Addition Band. Carl was a guest singer every so often. Carl and his wife Billie were always good to me, and made us welcome in their home. I am like little Izzy Bee, I don’t forget who has been good to me, and I sure don’t forget who has mistreated me either.

My daughter Angie Wiederhold is finally having her needle biopsy today on her thyroid. Of course it will be a few days before she gets results. Yes, I am very worried about Angie. I will be spending time with my little sidekick Bennie, who really isn’t little any more.

Johnny and Ann Calihan had their family for a Father’s Day celebration at their house. Their daughter Carol finally found that it takes two hands plus more to carry a huge sandwich. Carol, I had to tease you.

I hope before summer is over all my kids and grandkids can get together at my house for a cookout.

Vicki Power and I have been busy going to visit a friend in the hospital.

I am getting sort of used to my new red car. The color is all I really like about it, as it is too roomy for me inside. I wish I had looked a few more days instead of buying it.

I ordered a portable CD player, and it was supposed to come with a cord, but of course it didn’t. I called the company and they sent me a free cord, but it is the wrong one. I explained what I needed, so Keith went to Kmart and he gets the wrong one, as Kmart seems to carry just one of each item at times. I am on my way to try to get one at a computer store.

I am beginning to think that I am not supposed to enjoy a simple CD while I am traveling to the mountains. Is that too much to ask? Please don’t give me advice to get Sirius or anything connected to the Internet or Bluetooth, ever what that is.

I’ve tried to find out information about the Kingscreek Bluegrass Festival at the Kingscreek Park. It is a shame that more people don’t support local events.

Sunrise Ridge Band performed at the Stringbean Festival. I’ve heard of the festival but I’ve never been. Had I known that Sunrise Ridge was playing there, I would have found it. I really hope that Sunrise Ridge gets booked at the Appalachian Festival at Old Coney next year.

I may have to head towards Campbell’s Branch Community Center before too long. Maybe Mike and Marcia Caudill will join me.

Hayward Day and his daughter Kim stopped by to see Johnny and Calihan. Hayward missed my column being in The Mountain Eagle. Hayward, I sent my column in and it went on a vacation. Pam and I don’t know what happened.

Well folks, it is past time for me to get this on its way. Until next time, Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Rd., Harrison, Ohio 45030, email Bluegrassmama4@aol.com.

Leave a Reply