Try this wonderful recipe for Crispy Pork Chops with Pumpkin Apple Butter. It’s the perfect showcase for autumn fruits and vegetables.
CRISPY PORK CHOPS WITH PUMPKIN APPLE BUTTER
You can use fresh or canned and mashed sweet potatoes instead of the pumpkin puree. Any remaining Pumpkin Apple Butter will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or you can freeze it in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. It’s also delicious on bread, pancakes or waffles. If you’re pressed for time, a good quality, commercially made jar of pumpkin butter also will work well for this recipe.
1 (14-ounce) can pumpkin
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup packed light brown
sugar, stevia or agave syrup
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 (1/4-inch thick) boneless
2 tablespoons poultry seasoning 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/ 2 teaspoons freshly
ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/ 2 cup Panko white or
whole-wheat bread crumbs
1/2 cup all-purpose or wholewheat flour
1 egg, beaten with 3 tablespoons of water
1/4 cup oil for frying
1. Whisk together pumpkin puree, apple juice, water, brown sugar, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the mixture has reached the consistency of applesauce, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle the pork chops with 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, flour, the remaining 1 tablespoon of poultry seasoning, the remaining teaspoon of salt and black pepper, and the 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper until well combined. Pour the crumb mixture into a shallow dish.
4. Dip the pork chops in the egg, shake off excess. Firmly press the pork chops into the Panko mixture to coat on both sides.
5. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add breaded pork chops and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
6. Place 2 tablespoons of the pumpkin apple butter on each plate. Place the pork chops on the pumpkin butter. Serve with a side of steamed spinach, green beans or broccoli. Makes 8 pork chops.
Angela Shelf Medearis is an award-winning children’s author, culinary historian and the author of seven cookbooks. Her latest cookbook is “The Kitchen Diva’s Diabetic Cookbook.” ©2018 King Features Synd. and Angela Shelf Medearis