• To make quick work of avocados when making guacamole, use a potato masher.
• If you suspect a slow air leak in your tire but can’t find an obvious puncture spot, do like the professionals: squirt the tire with soapy water, and the air escaping from the hole will begin to make a bubble. You can use this for any kind of tire, car or bicycle.
• “Want that white wine chilled? Try freezing grapes to use as ice cubes. Keeps it cold, but won’t water it down. Plus, it’s a nice touch!” — A.A. in Fla.
• Recipe substitution: Need buttermilk? Add a teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk and let sit for 10 minutes.
• Use rock salt to clean stuck-on bits from a cast iron pan. Never use soap. Always dry immediately and coat with oil before storing.
• The richest chocolate cake and brownies have a secret: Replace water in your recipe with cooled coffee. (c) 2016 King Features