There are lots of opportunities for you to enter your handwork, food goodies, etc. at the 2018 Mountain Heritage Festival. These contests are being sponsored by the Letcher County Extension Office, located at 478 Extension Drive (off Stone Avenue and the Whitesburg Bypass) There is no entry fee.
General rules and regulations for exhibits
1. All exhibits may be entered at the Letcher County Extension Office on Wednesday, Sept. 19, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. In special circumstances, you may bring entries in on Monday, Sept. 17. The entries will be on display until Friday, the 28th. Judges will be secured and the decision of these judges will be final.
2. Entries will be accepted only in categories listed. Exhibits not listed will not be judged.
3. No person will be allowed more than one entry in a class; however, the same person may enter exhibits in as many lots as he or she chooses.
4. All exhibits must be the work of the person exhibiting it.
5. Exhibits are to be picked up by 3 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 1, at the County Extension Office.
Rules for canning, baking, and candy
Judging will be based on:
1. Use of USDA approved glass jars.
2. Lids and bands in good condition and free of rust.. Rings should be left on.
3. Baked foods, canned foods, and candy may be tasted to determine quality by the judges.
4. Baked foods and candy should be entered in disposable containers or wrappings. Containers will not be returned.
5. No foods made from commercial mixes will be allowed. Please include a copy of your recipe.
Categories for home canned foods
1. Jellies 2. Jams 3. Preserves 4. Fruits 5. Vegetables 6. Pickles 7. Relishes 8. Butters and sweets
Categories for candy
1. Fudge 2. Dipped 3. Other candy
Categories for home baked goods
Lot 1 Yeast Breads Class: 1. Loaf Bread 2. Yeast Rolls (6) 3. Other (tea ring, doughnuts (6), coffee cake, etc.)
Lot 2 Quick Breads Class: 4. Biscuits (6) 5. Corn muffins (6) 6. Nut bread.
Lot 3 Cookies Class: 7. Sugar cookies (6) 8. Peanut butter (6) 9. Brownies (6)
Lot 4 Cakes (½ cake) Class: 10. Sponge cake 11. Butter cake 12. Chocolate cake 13. Pound cake 14. Jam cake 15. Fruit cake 16. Old fashion stack cake
Lot 5 Pies Class: 17. Chocolate pie 18. Lemon pie 19. Custard pie 20. Fruit pie
Ribbons will be awarded to the three top entries in each category/class.
For more information, contact: Nanette Banks, County Extension Agent at the County Extension Office; 478 Extension Dr.; P.O. Box 784; Whitesburg, Ky. 41858 or call 633-2362.