Good Housekeeping has gathered all of the best ingredients from a hot and saucy hero sandwich — Italian sausage, peppers and cheese — and put them on a kid-friendly pizza.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon olive oil
8 ounces Italian turkey
sausage, casings removed
1 medium red pepper,
1 medium yellow pepper,
1 package ( 8- ounce)
1 pound fresh or frozen
(thawed) pizza dough
3/4 cup jarred marinara
1 1/4 cups shredded partskim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated
1. Heat oven to 450 F. Grease 15 1/2-inch by 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
2. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil on medium for 1 minute. Add sausage; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked through, breaking up sausage with side of spoon. With slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl.
3. To drippings in skillet, add peppers and cook, covered, on medium 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and cook, uncovered, 6 to 8 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Return sausage to skillet; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Remove skillet from heat.
4. With fingers, pat dough onto bottom and up sides of prepared pan. Spread marinara sauce on dough; top with sausage mixture, mozzarella and Parmesan. Place pan on rack in lower third of oven. Bake pizza 20 to 22 minutes or until topping is hot and bubbly, and crust is browned. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
* Each serving: About 615 calories, 33g total fat (10g saturated), 54mg cholesterol, 1,285mg sodium, 61g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 28g protein.
©2019 Hearst Communications