Whitesburg KY
Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

Holidays brought families together

Southern Ohio

Happy New Year, everyone!

I hope everyone had a good Christmas. Did Santa Claus bring you lots of goodies?

My daughter, Anna, and Scott Nottingham along with my granddaughters, Sarah, Jessica and Katelyn, came by Christmas Eve, bringing me a large package, and a couple of smaller ones. They got me a VCR and DVD combination player. Now if I can figure out how to use this thing! I am not very smart when it comes to newfangled things.

I have a small DVD that I use for my little sidekick, Bennie, to watch “Bob the Builder” on that my son, Keith Ballard, had given me.

Anna and her family stayed for a little while then had to venture on to another place. It is hard when families are divorced, on children, though grown, trying to divide their time.

My granddaughter, Jennifer Proctor, and her husband, Tommy, along with my two great-grandchildren, Samantha Jo and T.J., came by. Jennifer was kind enough to make a cheese ball for me. Actually, Jennifer laughed and said this is beginning to be a family tradition. She did the same last thing last year.

My grandson, C.J. Gray, and his wife, Shannon, stopped. They have a small poodle dog. C.J. called, asking could they bring it with them? I don’t like animals in the house but what I could I say except go ahead. I got a lot of kidding about that!

My granddaughter, Jodi Gray, joined the crowd for a while, and then she had to meet her boyfriend, Sam, then go to his parents’ for supper.

My son, Keith Ballard, came for a short visit then had some places he had to go.

My friend, Vickie Power, came by to spend some time. I think she was glad to go home to peace and quiet!

Thanks to all my family for all the nice presents.

My daughter, Angie, was too busy to stop by with little Bennie Christmas Eve, so needless to say she is in hot water. If I didn’t love this little tike so much she would be finding another baby-sitter!

I fixed turkey and dressing for Christmas dinner. Keith came for dinner. I had forgotten I still had a quart can of green beans that my little mountain mama Alma Whitaker had given Clayton and me. I opened them and, oh, they were just like fresh green beans from the garden.

Vickie Power was having a bad day so I invited her to come eat with us and she spent the evening, then my granddaughter, Jodi Gray, stopped by. You might say I had a full day.

Gwen Huff Farmer spent Christmas with her son, John Farmer, his wife, Sonya, and their son, Grant. She really had a good Christmas although the weather was so icy they couldn’t even get out to go to church. Gwen said the roads were so bad they had to delay their trip to get back to her place for several hours as there were so many accidents.

Gwen’s brother, Wendell Huff’s, daughter-in-law had a triple bypass recently. They live in Columbus, Ind. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Gwen sent me a picture of her Christmas cactus. It is over 50 years old. It was given to Gwen by her grandmother.

Gwen has some special company as her grandson, John Harding Farmer, and family of Arkansas came for a visit. Gwen is really enjoying having them. John Harding is the son of Forest Farmer.

My brother, Richie Hall, had been having chest pains for sometime but he wouldn’t go to the hospital. He had a heart attack without going to the hospital, then Christmas Eve he finally got hurting so bad he had to go to the emergency room at Whitesburg Hospital. They transported him to Pikeville. Richie’s kidneys almost shut down on him. They discovered blockage so they put a stent in, and removed a clot in the main artery. If this wasn’t enough his sugar dropped and he almost went into a coma since he is a diabetic.

Richie is still not out of the woods as he has been have trouble breathing quite a bit. He has congestive heart failure. He had to go back to the emergency room at Whitesburg hospital. Please keep Richie and his family in your prayers.

Richie and Wanda’s daughter, Crystal Caudill, who lives in Hamilton, drove down for Richie’s surgery.

It caught me at a time when my car isn’t up to traveling, plus my pocketbook is a little short of change since Christmas. This is the first time in a long time that I haven’t tried to be home when something serious happened in the family.

Ann and Johnny Calihan have been on pins and needles as Ann’s brother-in-law, Laffe Marcum, has been in the hospital. He is in serious condition. Ann did hear he is some better. Ann’s sister, Evadean, Laffe’s wife, is in ill health herself, so Ann and Johnny are worried about both of them. Please keep this family in your prayers.

Shirley Wells spent the holidays with several of her family members. She received lots of nice goodies from her children. One thing she really enjoyed, one of her daughters took her to on a short trip.

My new computer friend Bill Shepherd and his wife will be spending a few days with their daughter after the holidays. This is the first Christmas Bill and his wife had been home in several years. It really was pleasure talking to him. I still think I am going stop by and ask if the beans are done and cornbread is baked. They might tell me there’s a McDonald’s down the street!

I baked a stack cake for Christmas, and guess what. I forgot to put soda in it. It wasn’t as good as some I have baked but it was tasty! I had dried a small batch of apples in the fall, and they were good enough to eat by themselves.

I had to laugh as Keith asked me what kind of cake that was. I told him an old-fashioned stack cake. Keith replied, “It looks old fashioned”; he did say it tasted good.

Hello, Willa Mae Boggs. I hope you behaved on New Year’s Eve! Carl, watch her now.

Barefoot Bill and Betty Kelly had their children and grandchildren for Christmas. Everyone is thankful to be together as this family has had some trying times. The New Year’s Eve party had turned into a regular marathon with numerous guests coming and going. At one point, a man knocked on the door, was greeted heartily, although no one knew who he was, and was led to the bar in the basement. He sat there happily for a couple of hours before a strange light dawned on his face. “You know,” he confided to his host, “I wasn’t even invited to this party. I just came over to tell you that some of your guests’ cars are blocking my driveway.” The guest continued, “My wife’s been sitting out in the car waiting for me to get them moved!”

Well, I better get this heading old Kentucky way, so I will say so long until next time!

Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Road, Harrison, Ohio 45030, email Bluegrassmama4@aol.com, 513-367-4682.

Leave a Reply