Whitesburg KY
Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

How to correct a wrong birth date with SS

Question: I recently noticed on my annual statement that my date of birth in Social Security’s records is wrong. How do I get that corrected?

Answer: To change the date of birth shown on our records you can take the following steps:

• Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and

• Show us documents proving:

• U.S. citizenship or legal noncitizenship status (if you have not previously established your citizenship status with us);

• Age; and

• Identity.

• Take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

Remember that all documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. For details on acceptable documents, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ ss5doc.

Leave a Reply