Whitesburg KY

If recently married documents you will need to get a new Social Security card

Question: I’m getting married later this month and plan to change my name. What documents do I need to apply for a new Social Security card with the correct name?

Answer: To change your name in Social Security’s records, and on your Social Security card, you’ll need to provide proof of your U.S. citizenship (if you have not previously established it with us) or immigration status. You’ll need to show us evidence of your legal name change by showing us documentation of your old and new names. Such documents could include a court order for a name change, marriage document, divorce decree or Certificate of Naturalization. Finally, you’ll need to show us proof of identity. Visit our website about your Social Security card and number at www.socialsecurity.gov/ ssnumber/ where you can get more information and fill out your application. Or call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800- 325-0778).

Leave a Reply