Whitesburg KY

It looks alot like winter in southern Ohio

Southern Ohio

Hello again, everyone!

How is everything in the little corner of your world? Life in our area consist of a few short words, it is winter! We received about three inches of snow with terrible road conditions, then it started to rain. So again tonight we are supposed to get more snow with a winter weather advisory.

I finally decided to continue writing this in the wee hours of the morning. We have a couple of inches of new snow, we had rain so at least a portion of the previous snow has melted away.

As I said before, it is winter. It will be spring in a few months, the sooner the better. I have to keep my feet almost glued to the floor as I want to head for the mountains.

As I hear the furnace kick on, sometimes my thoughts return to childhood days at Roxana.

We lived on the hill in a brown brick siding house more than any place. Sometimes my parents would move for some reason, then back into the same house again.

It was a four-room house with fireplace in each bedroom.

At night just before going to bed, Mommy would put lump coal in then put a shovel or two of fine coal. A final thing was needed so she added a small amount of ashes to bank the fire so it would last all night.

There wasn’t any heat so we had quilts to keep us warm. We never knew what a soft blanket was, just the quilts that Mommy made.

To get the fire going you would have to take the poker and place it between the grates of the fireplace to sift the ashes down to stoke the fire.

Of course I slept with my brothers and sister. My brother Jerry was very young, and he would wet the bed. I would crawl out of bed and stand in front of the fireplace trying to get dry. In the meantime the back of my dress, yes I slept in a dress as I had no gowns, it would be wet and so cold, and then I would have to switch positions.

Mom finally got a bed for Jerry to sleep in by himself.

I never knew what a bed to myself was until I started staying away from home.

Occasionally when I stayed at Grandma Rosa Hall’s, I would be the only one staying there and I would sleep by myself. There were times I would sleep with Grandma just for the joy of it.

Daddy never knew what it was to ever get up to build a fire in the grate or in the kitchen stove. He would sleep until Mom had his breakfast ready and his lunch bucket ready to go, then she would wake Daddy so he could get up, get dressed, eat and be ready to head for work, no matter how hot or cold. Daddy never missed a day’s work.

Mommy would fix biscuits and gravy, fry salt bacon and eggs for breakfast, then when we kids got up she would warm it over for us, along with fixing oatmeal or flitters “pancakes” and homemade syrup. She would put sugar in a cast iron skillet, scorch it until it was light brown, pour a dipper of water and let it boil until it thickened.

You can buy any brand of syrup at the grocery store, but none will have the flavor of Mommy’s homemade syrup.

I have teased about leaving my tree up all year but I finally did take it down. I even threw the tree in the garbage as it was getting in such bad condition. Now if I can just get the rest of the decorations put away.

My daughter Anna Nottingham gave me a small cabin that lights up for Christmas. I am seriously thinking about leaving it so I can enjoy it. I love cabins. I have several large and small village Christmas decorations, that Anna has given me, and I have collected through the years.

Actually I have too many to display as I don’t have enough room to display. Oh well I will get it down one of these days.

Johnny and Ann Calihan are doing fairly well, except Ann has been feeling under the weather. Please keep the Calihan family in your prayers.

I haven’t been in the best of health for the last couple of months so I haven’t been out to see them except one time.

Gastroparesis is really playing havoc, as I can’t keep enough food down to balance my sugar intake, so I have low blood sugar that has dropped drastically at times.

My son Keith Ballard gets upset with me because I refuse to go to the hospital. A feeding tube is the next step and I am not going to get a feeding tube, that is not living only existing. When death comes we don’t know any more, that is something we all have to do, so I am not prolonging with a feeding tube. I refused almost six years ago, so I am not doing it now.

God made a stubborn individual. When He is ready for me, like others, I will answer the call. Until then I will keep being stubborn and live life the best I can.

Buddy and Bernice Grubb, I hope you are staying in and not out on the roads if you are getting snow in the mountains.

Hello Mike, keep an eye on Buddy and Bernice for me please.

Les and Pat Wagner, I really haven’t forgotten about you and everyone.

Mike and Marcia Caudill, only a short time until spring. I really doubt this pandemic is ever going to get better so things will get seminormal, for Carcassonne or Campbell’s Branch Community Centers to open or anything else to open.

Belated happy birthday to my sidekick Bennie Wiederhold on Jan. 30. It is hard to believe my little sidekick is 14 years old.

My daughter Angie Wiederhold, Bennie and I met at Cracker Barrel to celebrate Bennie’s birthday. Bennie sure enjoyed the dish of ice cream the waitress brought him.

Well, I need to get busy, so until next time, Rose Ballard 9110 Lawrenceburg Rd., Harrison, Ohio 45030 email: bluegrassmama4@aol.com.

Leave a Reply