Whitesburg KY
Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

It’s time for a cup of hot cocoa

Southern Ohio

Hello everyone and happy Thanksgiving!

There’s a full moon and the air is crisp, it is just right for a cup of hot cocoa like our mother used to make. It would be nice to have a bonfi re to roast some wieners or marshmallows, would you like to join me? Right about now I could use some distraction from everyday life!

My oldest daughter, Kay Gray, had same day surgery at Christ Hospital. She was released just a few hours after surgery, and on the way home she realized something was wrong. She called her doctor, who told her to get to his office. He checked her, then sent her straight to the hospital to be admitted.

Kay is bruised so bad as a blood vessel was nicked during surgery. She was released from the hospital, and I stopped by to check on her. They sent her home with a catheter, and the tube had gotten crooked so I straightened that out for her. I laughed and told her I bet she didn’t know that I could do that.

Belated happy birthday wishes to my youngest daughter, Anna Nottingham, and Shirley Wells’s daughter, Loretta, both on Nov. 3. Loretta and Anna both turned 38. Anna was born in the morning and Loretta was born in the evening.

Shirley and I also have children who were born March 29. I find this rather ironic.

I finally have my computer fixed, thanks to my son Keith Ballard. When I finally got around to calling the store where I purchased it I found I had one day before the warranty was to expire, and after four tries to the manufacturer I finally got hold of someone who could speak English plain enough to help me. Then, following directions for 45 minutes, trying to revive a dead hard drive, the guy said he would send the part to me.

When it arrived the next day, my computer guy had to work overtime and I only had a couple of days to send back the defective part, so I opened the box and read the directions. As I was taking the side off the computer Keith called and said he was outside my door. When he saw what I was doing he said, “Give me that!” So within five minutes he had everything done and closed back the cover on the computer.

I laughed to myself after Keith left. I guess he thought I couldn’t do it myself, though the directions were plainly written and I wouldn’t have had any problems.

Keith is very smart at doing anything he tries to do, I found a diagram that he had drawn with each wire labeled for the back of the computer to make sure he put everything back the way it was supposed to be. Plus he put tape on each wire before he removed it.

I lost several things I had on the hard drive, because I hadn’t backed it up. Oh well, at least I have it running again. Now all I have to do is get the printer installed again.

Keith tries to do things for me that I want to do for myself. I like to mow the grass and work in the yard, but when I come home to do this, I find him on the riding lawn mower before I can get to it. I guess I should be thankful instead of complaining.

When my leg was bothering me real bad he came in and caught me on my knees cleaning my kitchen floor, and said, “Let me do that.” There was no way, I don’t own a mop.

While my computer was down I received an email from Helen Ayers saying that I was going to be jealous because she and her sister were making a trip to eastern Kentucky. The joke is if you don’t know anything about it, you can’t be jealous.

Thanks Helen, for your concern about my leg. No, I don’t have diabetes, but I am a prime candidate for that dreaded disease. I am the oldest of six siblings and the only one who doesn’t have diabetes.

The wound to my leg has finally healed, except for muscle damage done by my falling against a hard plastic flowerpot that was filled with dirt. I still believe particles of the dirt got deep within the wound and wouldn’t let it heal right. I also think that when I started soaking it in hot salt water it helped more than the antibiotics and two visits to the emergency room plus two trips to my regular doctor.

When I touch my leg in the injured area I can’t feel anything except a slight sensation, which I was told is due to muscle damage, and may never heal. The doctor did say I would have been better had it been a clean break instead of the damage I did to it.

I am back dancing a little. Now if they can find the reason why I am having so much shortness of breath. I just stay so tired all the time, though I won’t give in. Well, sometimes I do go to bed a lot earlier than I used to, and wake up every hour on the hour.

As I am putting the finishing touch on this column, I feel like I am in seventh heaven. I am listening to bluegrass music on the computer wrapped in a soft blanket in the confinements of my own home. Very comfortable.

I miss Tony Burke on WMMT on Saturday mornings. There used to be real good bluegrass music locally and that has gone by the wayside too, so I get my bluegrass music fix from AOL or my tapes in my car.

Once again I went to the Coon Hunters Club. The music was rather good. Evan Lanier and the Bluegrass Express were there and, as usual, did a great job entertaining the crowd, and then none other than Fiddling Marvin Davis walked in the room. As I have often written, Marvin could play that fiddle with someone that was beating on a washboard and he would make it sound good.

How I wish our mom, Ora Hall, could have listened to Marvin!

I am sorry to hear my little dancing partner from the Coon Hunters Club, Ben ‘Cornbread’, was injured during a hayride. Ben is the son of Lavonne Brooks and the grandson of Thelma Halcomb Brooks. Lavonne also had an injury to her ankle. I do hope they both get better so they will soon be back. They are missed very much.

I talked to Ann Calihan for a few minutes, and she and the family are doing all right. I tried to call Polly Ann Maucher to see what Frick and Frack had been up to, but nobody was home.

I haven’t heard anything about Linda Whitaker Day, so I hope she is feeling better.

Gwen Huff Farmer and I have been communicating on the computer. She is doing all right. It is good to talk to Shirley Wells also.

I see where Larry Roark has been up to his old tricks, cooking and eating all that good food.

My brother Rich Hall is doing very well. Wanda and Teresa Kay Roark are going to spend the night at Kingsport, Tenn. soon to get an early start on Christmas shopping.

Hey if any of you readers know where I can get a chimney that has ‘Home Sweet Home’ on it for my kerosene lamp, I would really appreciate it. These were purchased in Gatlinburg many years ago, and I broke one and would like to get it replaced.

Clarence and Arlyn Halcomb, I hope this finds you two doing great.

Hello to my special friend Carl Boggs and his family. I hope everyone is perking okay. Hello Jessie Frazier, try to stay warm.

A little boy was afraid of the dark. One night his mother told him to go out to the back porch and bring her the broom. The little boy turned to his mother and said, “Mama, I don’t want to go out there. It’s dark.”

The mother smiled reassuringly at her son. “You don’t have to be afraid of the dark,” she explained. “Jesus is out there. He’ll look after you and protect you.” The little boy looked at his mother real hard and asked, “Are you sure He’s out there?” “Yes, I’m sure. He is everywhere, and He is always ready to help you when you need Him,” she said.

The little boy thought about that for a minute and then went to the back door and cracked it a little. Peering out into the darkness, he called, “Jesus? If you’re out there, would you please hand me the broom?”

I just had a phone call from my sweet friend Ann Calihan, saying that if it weren’t for bad luck she would have no luck at all, as she was scheduled for a CT scan. Ann was laughing so hard she could hardly tell me what happened. During the procedure the machine got stuck and wouldn’t bring her out. The operator of the machine had to manually pull her out.

Ann had to go to Dearborn County Hospital to have the procedure done. She said to tell all her cousins and friends who read my column that she sure doesn’t lead a boring life.

Once again my son Keith came in handy. As he passed the house this morning he discovered a deer had been killed and was in my driveway. I am so thankful I didn’t have to go anywhere before daylight this morning, as I probably would have fallen over it.

Thanks for the visit. I am looking forward to next time! Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Road, Harrison, Ohio 45030, email: Bluegrassmama4@aol.com, telephone 513-367-4682.

Leave a Reply