Whitesburg KY

Keith Ballard recovering after hospital stay Southern Ohio

Happy New Year!

I sure hope this isn’t a continuation of the old! I hope for new beginnings and a new direction for myself. I can’t speak for anyone else.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes concerning my son Keith Ballard, who is finally out of the hospital after a 14- day stay. I traveled to University Hospital 14 days to see him, though 11 of those times he was unable to respond to me.

Now trying to hold him down is another thing. While I was gone Keith got out in the freezing cold and cleaned my yard up where the neighbor’s dog had gotten into the garbage. He changed a flat on his truck, and worked on an old car that he has for sale.

Now this young man was near death’s door just a few days ago! He is going to be the death of me yet.

Keith says he is bored. He did do something that bothered me, he decided to do some laundry. He washed my gown in with his old dirty, greasy work sweatshirts, along with towels and washcloths and some dark clothes. No, I didn’t say anything. I just washed them over as I am just grateful he is going to be all right.

The doctors wanted Keith to have physical therapy on his legs since he hadn’t been out of bed for so long. What did I find when I went to the hospital? Just as fast as they took the restraints off his hands and legs, Keith was walking up and down the hall. Or I should say shuffling his feet? A 100-year-old man could outwalk him any day.

His driving ability isn’t what it should be and he wants to drive. He worked on Vickie Power’s car until he got it back running. In these freezing temperatures he changed the oil in Vickie’s daughter’s car, though he was in a garage partly for this task.

At least I still have my son so enough of my complaining, though he may not have his mom if this situation doesn’t improve.

Don Evans, who owned Renfro Valley, died recently. Don and his wife are from Harrison, and I knew him slightly. He was a man with lots of money, and that is all I knew about him, and he owned a business around here. Don used to come to the Whitewater Senior Citizens to listen to bluegrass music occasionally on Thursday evenings. One week after his death, Don’s wife, Vera Evans, died.

My brother Richie Hall fell and broke his ankle. He was on his way to the doctor when this happened. He asked someone to x-ray his ankle, but it was swollen so badly they couldn’t cast it.

Richie is in a lot of pain. I was teasing him and said the phone was ringing and he was afraid he would miss it and fell, or else Wanda was chasing him with a broom handle!

Richie isn’t very steady on his feet, he is such a bad diabetic that his feet go numb on him on his best days. Wanda hasn’t been feeling up to par lately either; this woman works herself to death.

With my son being ill, I completely forgot to check my gas tank and I use propane. Well it seems the gas has decided to go on vacation without me. I am just praying that I have enough to last until it is delivered. With what it costs I could go on a nice vacation. When the woman gave me the price (it is a wonder I am able to write this column), it’s just a little over $900!

You may see me standing on a corner with a cup and saying, “Help me, please. I will work for gas money!”

I do sometimes wonder how people stay out in this weather. I have been thinking about going through my clothes and see if I can find a place that gives used clothes to people.

I talked to Willamae Boggs, and it seems that she and her husband Carl have a dark cloud hanging over them as their water lines are frozen. I bet they will be bathing airplane style!

Jesse Frazier, take them some jugs of water, and while you are in the delivering stage, bring me some gas!

I wonder if it is cold in Cocoa Beach, Fla., where Gene and Brenda Caudill live? Brenda is a local girl who used to live not far from me. Gene is from the Jeremiah area.

My life has had some quirks and turns since doing this column. I had never met Gene Caudill, and I find it sort of ironic that he married someone I knew as a young girl. Gene’s wife Brenda was a beautiful young woman, and so was her mother Ginny.

Clarence and Arlyn Halcomb, I hope you two are staying warm and not getting out in this weather doing something.

I owe a sincere apology to the family of Johnny and Calihan. More to their son Dale and Jean Calihan. I completely forgot a memorial service for their daughter, which was held Jan. 2. I am so deeply sorry.

Hello to all of Johnny and Ann Calihan’s family still in the mountains. Genita Calihan, your girls and their families send their love.

Hello Clay Calihan, I hope to see you guys in February at Downtown Hamilton, when music once again will be there.

A belated happy birthday to my sister, Loretta Church, Jan. 2.

A belated happy birthday to my great-grandson T.J. Proctor, who was three years old Jan. 2. Yes, I forgot his birthday, and I am glad my granddaughter Jennifer Proctor knew of the situation we had with Keith. I’m more thankful that T.J. is only three years old, too young to realize that he has a dingy greatgrandmother.

I haven’t heard from Gwen Huff Farmer. I know she went for a checkup before having knee surgery. The doctors want Gwen to have some more tests before she has the actually surgery.

I haven’t been in touch with Shirley Wells for a few days either. I hope she is staying warm as I understand this cold front has really covered most of Tennessee too!

I finally found time to spend with my three granddaughters the Nottingham girls Sarah, Jessica and Katelyn, who spent the night with me, along with Vickie Power’s granddaughter Katie Ledford.

I spent the night New Year’s Eve at my daughter Anna and Scott’s house as they had plans to go to New Albany, Ind. I really enjoyed spending time with the girls. Vickie stayed with them while I picked Keith up at the hospital, and she treated them to pizza.

While I was with the girls New Year’s Eve, I fell asleep while they played Rock Band 2, a very noisy setup with drums and a real guitar. Sarah said I slept soundly. I guess she is correct since I slept the old year out and the new year in. I was completely exhausted.

The Harrison area was blanketed with about three inches of snow during the day and more later that night.

Old Time Fiddlers is held in the basement of the fire department at Miamitown.We had a large crowd. I suggested bringing a pot of our favorite soup, and we sure had good participation with this. I took a huge pot of chili and spaghetti, and I came home with a clean pot as Vickie washed it out for me. Every smidgen was eaten.

It is time to get this on its way. I hope all is well.

Until next time, Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Road, Harrison, Ohio 45030, email Bluegrassmama4 @aol.com, 513-367-4682.

Leave a Reply