List of the top news stories of 2019 in the annual Associated Press poll of editors, news directors and reporters.
1. Democrat Andy Beshear wins election as Kentucky governor, defeating Republican incumbent Matt Bevin.
2. Gov. Matt Bevin’s administration investigates teacher protests.
3. The Kentucky Derby ends in controversy when Maximum Security is disqualified, resulting in Country House being declared the winner.
4. Two stories tied. The Bevin administration is stymied in trying to impose work requirements for some Kentuckians on Medicaid. Coal miners formerly employed by Blackjewel in Harlan County protest after going unpaid for weeks of work.
5. A Catholic school in northern Kentucky becomes embroiled in a controversy stemming from a high-profile encounter involving white teens, Native American marchers and a black religious sect outside the Lincoln Memorial.
6. Lt. Gov. Jenean Hampton files a lawsuit challenging the firing of her top two aides by Gov. Matt Bevin’s office.
7. Kentucky lawmakers meeting in a special session vote to pass a pension bill aimed at helping regional universities and community social services agencies.
8. Republicans sweep down-ballot races in the Kentucky election.
9. The Tennessee Valley Authority votes to close a coal-fired power plant in western Kentucky.