Whitesburg KY

Last days of spring are here


Hello everyone, I hope all enjoyed the past week. It was hot, humid and rainy, but we should be getting a couple of cool days this week. This is the last week of spring.

Our internet is out right now, so I’m finishing my column at Taco Bell where there is free WiFi and tacos. I did call to let TVS know and they’re going to check it out.

Feel-better wishes are being sent to Janice Wolod, Edison Banks, Sue Banks, Glen Banks, Marty Richardson, Mary Richardson, Randy Brown, and Doug Owens.

There was a motorcycle wreck on Little Cowan last week. It happened in front of Anna and Duane Yonts’ house. The man was hurt but was wearing a helmet. He is now out of the hospital.

Debbie and Jeff Vice of Flemingsburg came in for a few days to stay at their place on Kingdom Come. We went out to eat with them on Thursday evening. We met at Sazon’s Mexican Restaurant. It was a nice dinner.

We couldn’t leave right away because of the heavy rain that came in while we were sitting. Debbie and Jeff came over to our house afterwards for a while. My brother, John Campbell, came over also. It was nice to sit and talk.

Kathy LaMonte of Clinton, Mississippi came in for a few weeks. Her granddaughters, Emma and Ava, came with her. I’m glad Kathy came in early for the Gibson family reunion. I am looking forward to spending time with Kathy and girls.

Laura Harris of Lexington came in for the weekend. She stayed with her parents, Bob and Ramona Caudill of Little Cowan. We were gone all weekend so I didn’t get to see her. Hopefully she comes back in for the reunion.

Mike and I went to Enon, Ohio over the weekend. Mike and two sons, Brad and Mark, put in flooring for daughter-in-law Becky’s grandma, Jessie Boekel. She had a family room and bathroom that needed to be done. Luckily the carpet was already pulled out when we got there. Jessie and two friends had removed the carpet. This was a big help. Becky and Jessie kept everyone supplied with food and drinks. I read a book and tried to stay out of the way.

Mike, Brad, and Mark worked Friday afternoon and evening, and Saturday afternoon and evening. The family room and bathroom were done when we left. It looked real nice and Jessie was so happy.

Mike and I stayed at a TRU Hotel in Huber Heights, Ohio on Friday night. I liked that hotel. It had a review saying it was a minimalist hotel. It was streamlined and I enjoyed my stay.

Saturday night we stayed at Mark’s house.

We ended up going to the casino with Mark. That was fun, more for Mark than Mike and me. Mark won over $200. He seems to do good when we go while we don’t.

While in Ohio, Mike and I went to a Meijer’s Store. It had been a few years since we had been to one. We did some shopping. There are a lot more choices of shopping and restaurants in the Dayton area but the traffic is terrible. That is what we don’t miss. I do prefer our quiet little corner of Kentucky.

On our way to Ohio, we were in a lot of traffic and construction in northern Kentucky. As we were going slow, we started getting hit by cicadas. Cincinnati has had a lot of cicadas this year. At one point we were stopped in traffic and I glanced at the side mirror where there were two cicadas sitting and looking at me. Those bugs are not pretty. There were cars who had their windows down that were suddenly putting their windows up.

A tree fell on Little Cowan by Ernie Ison’s place. The power and cable lines came down the tree. The houses in that area were without power for a few days. It took out our cable and internet.

Mike, John, and I went to Pine Mountain Grill on Sunday evening. It was nice. John insisted on paying for our meal. Before we got home he had mowed the yard and mowed down a tree. Apparently he got too close to it and it was gone. It probably would have taken several days before Mike and I would have noticed. That poor tree had had a rough life. So many people ran over it because it was in a random place.

CAT was sitting on the screened porch window ledge and was giving himself a bath. He leaned a little too far and slipped off the ledge. Mike and I laughed at him which insulted CAT. Sometimes I don’t think CAT understands he’s supposed to entertain us.

The Letcher County Health Department was offering HIV/HEP C testing last week. I don’t know if they are still offering it. They were giving out Walmart gift cards to anyone that came through the parking lot site. The opiate crisis has caused a rise in HIV cases in southeast Kentucky.

The quote of the week is attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson: “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make a difference that you have lived and lived well.”

If you have any news, please email CowanNews@aol.com. Thanks. Enjoy this last week of spring. Stay safe in all that you do.

Leave a Reply