Monday, Dec. 31
• At 5:11 p.m., a woman calls the Letcher County Sheriff ’s Office from her home in McRoberts to report she is going through a divorce with her husband and suspects he has taken motors she was selling to help pay bills the couple owe. She says she found the motors were missing after another man came to buy them. She also says an attorney told her it was legally proper for her to sell the equipment to help meet financial obligations.
• At 5:33 p.m., ADT Security alerts the sheriff ’s office about a residential burglar alarm sounding at Goldenrod Drive, Thornton.
• At 5:34 p.m., two sheriff ’s deputies are dispatched to a home at Pert Creek, Whitesburg, in reference to a report of a domestic disturbance.
• At 5:48 p.m., ADT Security tells the sheriff ’s offi ce to disregard a burglar alarm that was sounding at Goldenrod Drive, Thornton.
• At 6:21 p.m., a citizen from Pert Creek, Whitesburg, calls the sheriff’s office to report that members of a certain family are fighting again. Units are dispatched to the scene and report after eight minutes that everything is okay.
• At 11:55 p.m., an annoyed citizen calls the sheriff ’s department to complain about a party underway at a garage on Big Cowan. The citizen says the party is too loud.
Tuesday, Jan. 1
• At 12:09 a.m., two deputies who answer a complaint of a loud party at Big Cowan report they have advised revelers to keep the music down and noise to a minimum.
Wednesday, Jan. 2
• At 9:52 a.m., a deputy sheriff is dispatched to the Harlan County Jail to pick up prisoner Heather Lynn Polly, who is charged with a probation violation.
• At 10:02 a.m., sheriff ’s deputies are dispatched to the scene of a traffic accident on U.S. 23, near Pound Gap, Jenkins, where a vehicle has slid on ice in extremely foggy conditions and overturned on the southbound shoulder adjacent to Pine Mountain. A deputy asks dispatchers to inform the Wise County, Va., Sheriff ’s Department that the Virginia side of U.S. 23 is completely iced over.
• At 11:43 a.m., a deputy reports his location at a mobile home at Whitco Loop, Whitesburg. He says he has arrested a man on charges contained in a warrant and is bringing him to the Letcher County Jail.
• At 12:04 p.m., a man requests that Officer Matt Gayheart contact him concerning a motorcycle theft case on which Gayheart is working.
• At 2:09 p.m., a woman calls for assistance behind the Harry M. Caudill Library, Whitesburg, where a maroon Chevrolet Uplander van is locked with the keys still in the ignition. The Whitesburg Police Department is dispatched to the scene.
• At 2:46 p.m., a caller from Dollar General Store, Mayking, reports a motorist needs assistance with unlocking a blue Chevrolet truck with the keys still in the ignition.
• At 4:33 p.m., a dispatcher from Kentucky State Police Post 13, Hazard, notifi es the sheriff ’s office of a two-vehicle accident on KY 805 [Kona to Jenkins]. The report says one vehicle is smoking.
Thursday, Jan. 3
• At 10:08 a.m., a sheriff ’s deputy reports he has arrived at 4105 Thornton Road, where he is looking for a woman named in an arrest warrant. The deputy is unable to make contact with the woman.
• At 11:40 a.m., deputies are dispatched to a home to conduct a welfare check on a man reported to be exhibiting suicidal behavior. The subject tells deputies he is okay and does not want to hurt himself.
Friday, Jan. 4
• At 7:09 a.m., a deputy is dispatched to Dusty Road, Deane, where a woman needs assistance unlocking a Ford Mustang that was locked with the keys still in the ignition.
• At 2:45 p.m., a woman calls from Loves Branch, Colson, to file a complaint about a man calling and threatening her. The woman is referred to the office of Letcher County Attorney Jamie Hatton.
• At 3:31 p.m., a woman calls from Daniels Branch, Isom, to request extra patrol in her neighborhood. She is making the request because a white male dressed in a black jacket and hat just ran from where he was standing next to her garage when she saw him when the door to the structure opened.
• At 4:02 p.m., a deputy reports that a check of a license plate number from a red Chevrolet pickup suspected of being involved in a copper theft indicates the truck belongs to a business located in Whitesburg.
• At 4:04 p.m., Kentucky State Police Post 13, Hazard, alerts the sheriff ’s department about a possible drug overdose at Kingscreek. Two deputies are dispatched to the scene.
• At 4:06 p.m., Kentucky State Police Post 13, Hazard, notifies the sheriff ’s office that a man believed to have been an overdose victim at Kingscreek has contacted state police and says he is okay. State police say the man is wanted on arrest warrants.
• At 4:07 p.m., a deputy sheriff reports from a family cemetery where he has been dispatched after an altercation occurred while a grave was being dug. Members of one party confirm they hit an existing gravesite last night while digging the new grave, but then moved to a different location. The other party is complaining that gravestones were moved from the existing site. The deputy says he is unable to find evidence that any stones have been moved and advises the complaining party to contact the Letcher County Attorney’s Office for further assistance.
• At 4:13 p.m., a deputy reports he is en route to Daniel’s Branch, Isom, to patrol for a prowler reported to have been seen in the area.
• At 4:32 p.m., the sheriff’s department is contacted by a representative of Savage Trucking in Castlewood, Va., concerning a Haulmark trailer and tools stolen that have been reported stolen.
• At 4:56 p.m., a deputy reports from Daniels Branch, Isom, and says he has been unable to locate anyone matching the description of a suspected prowler reported earlier.
• At 5:06 p.m., a man visits the sheriff’s office to ask if it is okay if he goes and picks up his 13-year-old daughter who is spending the weekend with her mother. The man said the child claims the mother is screaming at her and mistreating her and is asking him to come and pick her up.
• At 6:34 p.m., deputies are dispatched to a home at Pert Creek, Whitesburg, to unlock a black Jeep that is locked with the keys still in the ignition.
Saturday, Jan. 5
• At 11:32 a.m., a deputy reports he is onsite for a pending funeral escort.
• At 1:45 p.m., a deputy reports he is onsite for a pending funeral escort.
• At 2:06 p.m., a woman from Potters Fork, Cromona, calls the sheriff ’s office to report hearing gunshots fired.
• At 4:43 p.m., a deputy is dispatched to Talents Branch, Blackey, after the sheriff ’s office received a report of vehicles being parked around property owned by CSX Railroad and gunshots being fired. After arriving at the scene, the deputy learns the shots were fired by a group of people having target practice.