Whitesburg KY

Looking forward to driving again

Hello everyone! Well, summer is finally here by the calendar. It is very chilly here in this section of the Ohio Valley area. My son bought a new window air conditioner which is in the living room. Since I am more confined to the living room, I keep the air more on fan, as it gets too cold for me. I’ve said it before, and will repeat it, I wish anyone that is housebound could have the access to a computer. On the other hand, technology is so dangerous for young children to use. What look like innocent cartoons are porno sites. When there are blocks to keep kids out, some kids are smart enough to get around that.

I know you are probably are getting tired of me writing about my accident. I’ve always been such an independent person, I’ve always been the caretaker of others. It breaks my heart to ask for help. June 1, my life had suddenly taken a change in an instant. I had plans for the next weekend to return to the mountains and to the places I love so much. It happened simply because some woman had her nose stuck in a cell phone texting. She supposedly was pregnant, but she almost took my life. By the Grace of God for some reason I was spared. Since she was released from the hospital, I assume she was alright. It will be several months before my life will return to normal, if ever, as I am having trouble with my right kneecap.

I go to the orthopedic doctor in a couple of weeks. I will be so thankful to be able to drive again, so I won’t have to depend on anyone. It is very difficult to get dressed, and especially hard for me to comb my long hair with the left arm in a cast. I’ve actually been thinking of getting my hair cut.

Saturday was a busy day for me. Vicki Power and I went on a short adventure, as we went to two nursing homes to see friends. There wasn’t anyone at the information desk at the entry. Vicki and I walked down the hallway. I made a remark to Vicki about not being able to find anyone to ask about a room number. An employee asked Vicki if I had forgotten my room number. Vicki was pushing me in a wheelchair, and there I was with my left arm in a cast and my right leg in a boot, visiting someone. As Vicki pushed me down the hallway, it broke my heart to see patients lying in their chairs. A couple were about to slip out. This is why I have tried so hard to stay in my own home, and do the best that I can do. I know for a fact there are times you have to wait two hours to have someone help you to the bathroom.

I spend a lot of time fooling with the computer since I am limited in what I can do. I made a post about Kentucky calling me, just being silly. My daughter Anna Nottingham lives in Ft. Mitchell, and sent me a message saying she would take me to Kentucky on Saturday. I replied by asking could we keep on driving to the mountains. I really didn’t think any more about it.

Saturday morning, Anna called to see what I was doing, and Vicki and I were getting ready to leave. Anna said she would call me later in the afternoon, saying she would be over about 3:30 to pick me up. When Anna and my granddaughter Katie came, I was rather tired so I told her I didn’t think I wanted to go. I had put my housecoat on and was comfortable. Anna insisted I needed to get out of the house. I finally gave in and got dressed, which is a task pulling my pants up with one hand. Finally I was ready to roll, literally, as Anna took the wheelchair.

I noticed Anna didn’t turn off at the exit to her house, actually when you are with her it is untelling where you may end up. Anna was teasing me about the small mounds that aren’t as big as the mountains down home; it was the best she could do. Finally Anna turned into this driveway, to a huge business called Verona Winery. Anna and Katie helped me with the wheelchair to the entrance. I was expecting it to have things for sale, but it is a beautiful restaurant. The waitress said it was usually reservations, however there was one small table available.

I was so intent on maneuvering the wheelchair, I wasn’t aware of anything else. Anna turned my head slightly to the left. There stood Ma Crow, who was as surprised to see me as I was to see her. Vicki Abbot and Margie Drees laid their instruments down to come to hug me. Tears started streaming down my face. Anna knows how much I love Ma Crow and the girls, and she had somehow seen Ma Crow & Company was performing at Verona Vineyard on Saturday. It was a wonderful surprise, and such a good evening. Thank you, Anna, for being so thoughtful.

Sunrise Ridge will be at Campbell’s Branch Community Center July 12. The Carcassonne Square Dance will be held July 13, and Sunrise Ridge will be the featured band. Please go hungry, as both places have delicious food.

Hello to Mike and Marcia Caudill, please dance a dance for me. Thanks, Mike, for being my dance partner. I can say I have really enjoyed the last couple years of my life more than I have in several years. Too bad it had to end through no fault of mine.

Hello to Hayward and Kim Day, I hope to see you two before long.

Johnny and Ann Calihan are doing very well. Ann has a few health problems Their daughter Sue Wagner is in the last stages of getting their house ready for sale. Sue is on a liver transplant list.

Les and Pat Wagner finally got to spend a few days in their home in the mountains. Pat said it was very cold all the time they were there. Les showed several huge heads of cabbage from his garden. They were beautiful.

I received such a nice letter from Mike Watts saying how much he enjoys my column each week. I remember Mike’s parents, Ruben and Odell Watts, along with Yvonne when I was a child going to Mill Branch School. I met Gwen a couple of years ago, then I finally met Mike when he was campaigning for office. Mike is active in the organ donor program. Several years ago I signed the back of my driver’s license to be an organ donor, then years later removed it. I have mixed feelings, then I think of my precious friends Johnny and Ann Calihan’s daughter. I may sign the back of my license again.

Annette Akers’s husband Russ had gallbladder surgery. Please keep him in your prayers, as Russ will be facing another surgery.

Hello to Steve Stamper, who has improved enough to get back to Letcher Manor Nursing Home. I know his sister is overjoyed to be able to go see Steve.

Well, folks, it takes forever to try to get this column written. Hug your family and not only tell them you love them, show them. Believe me, you never know when your life can change.

Until next time. Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Rd., Harrison, Ohio 45030, email Bluegrassmama4@aol.com

Leave a Reply