School days are here
The graded and high schools opened here Monday with about the heaviest enrollment in its history. Everybody is hard at work to get the machinery in good working order. As are the people so will be the teachers and as are the teachers so will this school as well as all others be. Personally speaking the schools are just what the teachers make them and not what the students make them.
Early last Monday morning, just after the rays of old sun had spread themselves over the school building and campus, and not a vestige of cloud could be seen anywhere, the bell which for months had been silent, again pealed out its call and here and there with books and pencils in hand the rustle of the children could be heard as they hurriedly moved toward the building on the hill. Yes, it was splendid, as we watched the happy boys and girls coming from everywhere, laughing and talking and singing, with here and there a mother, sometimes a father or someone else interested, all moving in one direction, one way, toward the building on the hill.
When we reached there Prof. Harris and the teachers were all there, ready to go to work. We saw some of the parents there and some of the school board, this was fine; we only wish that every parent in Whitesburg could have been in chapel that morning and have seen that fine and splendid array of boys and girls, the future leaders and citizens of our town and county. Well, in chapel Prof. Harris spoke of the school, the value of same and what it meant to the town, county, State and nation — the teachers spoke of how they intended to work for the school. After chapel, the pupils with their teachers gathered in the several rooms and at this writing there are enrolled 350 grade pupils and 132 high school pupils, the largest in our history. We remember that in 1910 there were five high school pupils and about 90 in the various grades. What a contrast! What shall we expect in 1940?
In high school this year we have enrolled students from Ice, Ermine, Whitco, Millstone, Kona, Sandlick, Craftsville, Jackhorn, Fleming, Cowan, Colly, Mayking, Cumberland, Elsiecoal and Hindman. Faculty-Prof. Harris, Prof. Glenn, Prof. Hale and Miss Gertrude Lewis, a quartet that is hard to beat.
Everything is moving like a clock, school spirit runs high, and we want the parents to get behind the school, because it takes the co-operation of all to make the school what it ought to be. Well, at least we are off for the best school year in the history of Whitesburg.
(The above article from the Sep. 9, 1926 Mountain Eagle.)
Whitesburg School issues fine paper
The following comment on the Black Kat was taken from The Lexington Leader:
“The January edition of the Black Kat, monthly publication of the Whitesburg, Ky. High School, which has just been received in Lexington, is called the “Wedding Number” in honor of a double wedding solemnized at the First Baptist Church at Whitesburg, December 29. The contacting parties were Miss Earle and Edison Lewis and Miss Jessie Triplett and Oscar Lewis, all of Whitesburg. Students of the school sang at the Wedding. An account of the affair is graphically told in the Black Kat, which is rapidly coming to the fore as one of the outstanding high school publications in the state. Several advertisements attest to the efficiency of the business and advertising departments of the paper. The personnel of the paper are as follows: Vergil Lewis, editor-in-chief, Astor Brown, assistant editor, William Ewen, athletic editor, Wilma Back, humorous editor, Poppy Hughes, social editor, Ethel Adams, assistant social editor, Earl Day, business manager, William Ewen, assistant business manager, Eva Peters, exchange editor, Mary Earl Lewis, Censor”.
We wish to say that the January Kat was called the “Wedding Number” also in honor of the wedding of Miss Virginia Harris and Stephen Combs, Jr.
(The above article appeared in The Mountain Eagle March 4, 1926.)