Whitesburg KY

More Ingram precious memories

In the year of 1947-48, I had just turned 18 years old and was a junior in high school (at KCHS on Linefork).

I was spending the night with a good friend of mine who was working for Earl and Deloris (Ison) Nolan. They had the post office (Linefork) and a big grocery store across from the schoolhouse. She wanted me to stay and go to the movie at Whitesburg.

I truly thought that was where she and her boyfriend were going, only when we got started that evening about dark Kelly Cornett, Bob Edward Cornett and Fess Cornett along with Joy Fay Ingram all came to pick me up. I had no idea that her friend was bringing anyone else with him, but there they were.

We got in the car and started across Kingscreek and across Cowan Mountain to Whitesburg. I still thought we were all going to the movie.

When we got to Whitesburg they turned toward Isom. I asked where we were going, and they said we are going to get Kell and Fess’s brother, Carl Cornett, to come home to help kill hogs for their dad the next day.

We proceeded to go on to Isom and then down Rockhouse and Blackey and on to Ulvah then on down Route 7 to where the Blue Goose Whiskey and Beer Bar was, then on past that to a place called Gobblers Knob. I had never heard of that place before, and I was really scared and didn’t know what to do.

We came to an old block building beside the road on the left, and Kell stopped the car and told his cousin Foss and Bob Edward that they could walk up the hill to where Carl was staying and get him.

Joy Fay was dating Bob, but I wasn’t dating Fess. They wanted us to walk up there with them. We got out of the car and left Lassie and Kell to wait on us.

We started up this old, dirt road and I asked Fess, “ How far is it up to the house?” He said, “ Just a little farther up and around a curve.

It was a chilly time and kind of muddy on that road. We kept walking and walking, and I asked again how much farther do we have to walk.

My shoes were not good for that kind of walk. They were black suede sandallike shoes and my feet were getting cold, but we kept on going.

Finally, about an hour later, we got there, right on top of the mountain. They yelled at Carl and to people who lived there. He came out on the porch in his long-handles and the night wasn’t too dark, but he saw us girls and ran back in the house to put on his coveralls, then came back out. He wanted to know why we’d come.

Fess told him that his dad, Lilley Cornett of Lilley Cornett Woods (now), wanted him to come home to help kill hogs the next day.

He got ready and we started walking back down that mountain. I was so tired and really mad at them for lying to me.

While coming down, one of the straps on my shoe broke and I didn’t know what I was going to do. It just so happened that Joy Fay had a big safety pin in her dress and she gave it to me, and Fess got my shoe and pinned it together so I could walk off that hill.

We finally made it to the car. Then Carl told the boys he needed to go down to Jeff, near Hazard, and get his girlfriend who worked for someone there and take her to Vicco to her home. I had never heard of Vicco.

That was another blow for me. I wouldn’t say much, but I was really upset with them.

We went and got her, then drove back up Highway 15 to Vicco and took the girl home. Then we had to come on to Whitesburg on the old Route 15 Highway.

We finally got back to the Nolan’s place about 4:30 or 5 o’clock. Lassie and I just stayed up and cooked breakfast for them, and then I went on to school.

At lunchtime my dad always came by the store and post office as he went to work, and I went to tell him what had taken place. He was upset too, but he got okay.

Earl was over by the counter across from where we were, and he listened to me telling my dad how late we were getting home.

Dad left and Earl came over to me and said, “Bonnie, I was listening to you and your dad, and I’m so proud of you for telling him the truth! If you hadn’t, I was going to tell him myself.”

I sure was glad I had told Dad what had taken place. They truth always pays off.

I never did go again. Only memories always stay in your mind.

I got a pretty Christmas card from Lillian Lane, who lives in Lexington. She was telling me to keep the memories coming. She was a granddaughter of Lilley Cornett and Carl and Fess were her uncles. They are both deceased years ago.

Kell had a birthday on Dec. 5 (90 years old). I hope it was a good one. I didn’t know if he was still living or not. Don’t feel bad for me telling those memories of mine. He was Lillian’s cousin, I guess.

She said they had a big stir-off in September, and there were probably a hundred people who came to it. She was sorry that I hadn’t heard about it so I could have come. I’m sorry, too. I love to go to stir-offs. Molasses is good to have around.

My Grandpa Cornett, D.D. Dock, always had one or two every year. We children always loved to go.

John D. Huff used to have them also. I was at one of his one time when I was 14 years old. That was the first time I ever square danced. His son Elmo asked me if I’d like to dance and I told him I didn’t know how, and he said, “Come on, I’ll show you how.”

So that is when I learned to square dance, and I loved it really well. After that, I never turned down a dance. That night was special to me.

Elmo was Claude’s best friend always, and they went to school together. Then Elmo met Sallie Turner and they started dating and I went to her 16th birthday party. I as 18 then, and that’s how I met Claude, my sweetheart forever. He was 19 and had just come out of the army. He had spent a year in Japan as a military policeman.

So Elmo and Sallie were our best friends until they went to West Virginia to work in the coalmines at Westmoreland, and we moved to Illinois to work for Peabody Coal.

Later we lost them both. They both died and our hearts were broken.

We had our oldest three boys when they left, and they had three, two girls and a son, and now I have lost my dearest friend I’ll ever have in this world.

It will be two years on January 17, 2015. Oh, I miss him so much at this time of the year. We love Christmastime with all our families getting together and having a good dinner and visiting with everyone.

The last Christmas we had with my mother, Mary, and Dad, I cooked a big supper and invited Mom, Dad, Uncle Dennis, his son James, Uncle Hiram Ingram and wife Lillian, my sister Judith and her husband Don and their daughter, Donna, my brother Arlie and Dorothy, and Claude’s mom and dad.

I cooked for 21 people that night for Christmas in a singlewide trailer. It was wonderful for us all. Like a can of sardines, but we had the best time every. They all enjoyed being together.

Then we lost my mother on Jan. 29, 1976. I am so glad she got to spend Christmas at my home for her last Christmas. She enjoyed it with all of her friends and family members. I loved it so much to have them all with us.

Uncle Dennis Cornett’s wife was very sick at that time. That was the reason I wanted them to come and eat with us. She died Jan. 15, after that. We were all broken hearted that January, 1976.

The precious memories will always linger on in my heart always. I love all.

Keep up prayer for all the sick, our troops, and America.

Leave a Reply