With the new year may come a new day that your garbage is picked up.
The Letcher County Fiscal Court recently purchased four mini-packer garbage trucks which will cut down on the amount of time, fuel, and workers that it takes to collect garbage throughout the county, according to Letcher County Judge/Executive Jim Ward. The trucks were purchased with coal severance tax funding.
“The purpose of this is to be as efficient as possible,” said Ward.
Ward also said he is trying to keep garbage bills low.
“We are trying to not raise the garbage bill but if we have to it wouldn’t be as high of a raise.”
Before the new garbage trucks arrived, Ward said it took about 21 workers to pick up trash, but now it only takes 14 workers.
Ward said no one will lose their jobs because less workers are needed. Some workers were transferred to different departments and attrition also factored in.
Ward said the new garbage trucks can hold about three times as much as the old trucks, which means fewer trips to the landfill.
Because the new garbage trucks are larger, Ward said people need to bring trash from their driveways to the county road by 7 a.m. on the day of service.
Beginning January 5, the new garbage pick-up schedule is:
• Mondays: Start at junction 160 toward Linefork. Pick up all 160, all Highway 463, all Highway 510 and all Highway 1103. This includes all side roads and off sets. At 1103 and Highway 7 South junction beginning at Ulvah, down to Blackey, including Elk Creek and Carcassonne. Pick up all Blackey and River Road to Roxana.
• Tuesdays: Bottom Fork, Payne Gap, and all side roads in this area. Kona, Seco, Whitaker, McRoberts, Neon Junction, Haymond, Cromona, Beefhide, McPeaks Branch, Happy Hollow and Highway 805 all the way to the Pike County line.
• Wednesdays: Whitco, Cowan, Kingscreek, Roxana, Premium, Ice, Kingdom Come, Pratt and Mill Branch. From C.B. Caudill Store on Blackey down Highway 7 South to Highway 15. Isom, Little Colley, and Sandlick.
• Thursdays: Mayking, Golf Course at Mayking, Brass Dr., Heritage Dr., Holbrook Town, Sergent, Thornton, Millstone, Goose Creek, Hemphill, Grassy, Yonts Fork, Deane, Colson, Camp Branch, Low Gap, and Rockhouse to Isom on Highway 7 North.
• Fridays: Everything across Pine Mountain, Little Cowan, Perk Creek, Hammonds Branch, Highway 119 North from county garage to Ermine including Fairview Dr., Friday Branch, Solomon, Craft’s Colly, Dry Fork, and Smoot Creek.
For more information, call the Sanitation Department at (606) 633-2190 or (606) 633-9461.