The work of nine Letcher County residents won first- or second place in the seventh annual Golden Senior Arts Regional Event on November 27 at Hazard Community and Technical College.
Golden Senior Arts is sponsored by the Kentucky River Area Development District (KRADD), and is a celebration of the creativity of the 50-plus population in the Kentucky River area. The event provides an opportunity for area citizens to display their creative talents in the categories of artwork, quilting, photography, woodcraft, stained glass, crochet, canning, bread making and writing.
All first-place county winners from each of the eight KRADD counties were eligible to submit their items in the regional contest. Ribbons for first, second and third place were given to all winners in each category that entries were made in. Works were entered by approximately 120 senior citizens.
Those who won or placed from Letcher County and the category they competed in were:
• Anna Wright, first place Poem.
• Colleen Hart, first place Individual Hand-Quilting.
• Martha Burns, first place Applique Quilts.
• Jack Morgan, second place Bird House.
• Bonnie Asher, first place Ribbed Basket.
• JoAnn Walters, first place Crochet.
• Maxie Turner, first place Crochet.
• Lee Reaves, second place Oil Artwork.
• Etta Long, first place Colored Pencil.