Whitesburg KY
Cloudy
Cloudy
46°F
 

No problems found at Long John Silver’s




Officials do not know why six people became ill Friday afternoon at a Whitesburg restaurant.

Whitesburg and Hazard firefighters conducted air quality readings and tested for carbon monoxide inside the Long John Silver’s Seafood Shoppe after five employees and one customer experienced headaches, dizziness and nausea on July 11.

Paul Miles, emergency management director for Letcher County, said the air quality was normal. Miles said officials sealed the building, fired up the grills and checked for anything that could have caused a problem. Miles said he monitored the air quality inside the restaurant for two hours.

“I don’t really feel like it was anything inside the restaurant,” said Miles.

Those who became ill were treated and released from the Whitesburg Appalachian Regional Hospital.

Yum! Brands, Inc., the parent company of Long John Silver’s, which is based in Louisville, released the following statement.

“Nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our employees and customers. The Hazard Fire Department conducted a full inspection after the incident and did not find anything wrong. The restaurant reopened on Saturday and all employees are back to work and no other complaints of illness have been reported.”


Leave a Reply