• On Feb. 16, 1878, the Bland-Allison Act — which provided for a return to the minting of silver coins — becomes the law of the land. During the 19th century, money was backed by actual deposits of silver and gold, unlike today when the value of American money is essentially secured by faith in the stability of the government.
• On Feb. 14, 1929, in Chicago, gunmen in the suspected employment of organized crime boss Al Capone murder seven members of George “Bugs” Moran’s North Siders gang. The so-called St. Valentine’s Day Massacre motivated federal authorities to redouble their efforts to find evidence incriminating enough to take Capone off the streets.
• On Feb. 19, 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs Executive Order 9066, authorizing the removal of all people from military areas. The military in turn defined the entire West Coast as a military area, and more than 110,000 Japanese Americans were relocated to remote internment camps around the country.
• On Feb. 18, 1959, Ray Charles records “ What’d I Say,” which went on to become one of the greatest rhythm-and-blues records ever made. The call-andresponse song was created to fill time at the end of a concert, and the crowd loved it.
• On Feb. 20, 1974, Reg Murphy, an editor of The Atlanta Constitution, is kidnapped after being lured from his home by William Williams. Murphy was released after a $700,000 ransom was paid. Within hours, Williams and his wife, Betty, were captured. (c) 2011 King Features Synd.
It appears that we have replaced one Bobby on the fiscal court with another. The new magistrate shows every indication that he will be voting with Judge Ward regardless of what the issue, which from rumors floating around before the election, was what the judge planned to do with the outgoing Bobby. Is it true that Bob Lewis will be running the new recreation center? Only in Letcher County do we reward a magistrate that doesn’t do his job with a better job. If he did, why did Mr. Howard run against him? At least the other new magistrate is a man of his own views and convictions. Terry and Wayne are the only two magistrates on the fiscal court who will stand up to the judge and vote what they believe is best. The bet is here that Letcher County will have to raise taxes in the future to pay for the new recreation center. I bet then you will not see the judge’s name plastered all over everything. Have you noticed that his name is in big letters on both the front and back of his jacket? Even Eddie Meade wears a jacket with the judge’s name, a true politician. Did you ever see any previous judge’s name plastered everywhere? Carroll Smith might have been bullheaded, but at least he had no hidden agendas and was not self-serving. Thanks.