• If you have several items of clothing with grease stains on them, add a can of cola to the wash water. It can ease out grease stains.
• Turn corduroy pants inside out before each washing. This reduces wear and discourages lint.
• Shaving cream can be used as a spot cleaner on carpets, upholstery and even clothing. If you are not sure whether your upholstery can be cleaned with water, check first in an inconspicuous area.
• Need a nice-smelling house but don’t feel like baking cookies? Try simmering a pot of spices on the stove. Add several cloves and a teaspoon of cinnamon or pumpkinpie spice to a few cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or so. Your house will have a delicious scent — good enough to eat!
• “Use cotton swabs to touch up painting jobs. They are small enough to get into tight spaces, and the best part is that they are disposable.” — J.D. in Kansas
• Clean out a stained coff ee decanter by filling it with hot water and adding a denture tablet. Let it sit overnight, and the stains should come right off in the morning.
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, c/o King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475 or e-mail JoAnn at heresatip@yahoo. com. (c) 2010 King Features Synd.