• “To hang up thread spools, use a wire hanger. Untwist the neck portion, thread on the spools (by color or thickness, etc.) and then refit the neck together.” — P.O. in Washington
• If you have a busted-up garden hose, don’t pitch it. Cut sections of it for later use. For instance, when slit down the side, garden hose makes a handy cover for iceskate blades.
• Freeze large batches of homemade baby food in ice-cube trays or mini muffin tins. When frozen, pop out the portions and save in freezer-safe ziplock bags.
• Here’s an instant kid table. Take one laundry basket and top it with a piece of plywood that has been cut to extend over the basket by a half-inch on all sides. Sand the edges and paint if you like. Toys and games can be kept in the basket, and the whole thing can be moved or stored easily.
• To keep white socks white, boil them in a mix of water and lemon juice. Add lemon slices for extra whitening power.
(c) 2010 King Features Synd.