• “Stir eggs while boiling to keep the yolks centered, such as when you are making deviled eggs or softboiled eggs for breakfast.” — T.D. in Mississippi
• Kitchen substitution: Make your own “sour milk” to stand in for buttermilk. Just add 1 tablespoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup, then add enough milk to make a cup. Stir and let stand a minute or two before using.
• To prevent hangnails, give yourself a hand massage and use a little olive oil while you’re at it. Rub a few drops of the oil into your nail beds for healthier cuticles.
• Your bar of soap will last longer if you let it dry out for a few days before using it.
• “If you have leftover paint in your can, get a balloon and blow it up to fit in the empty space of the can. Press it into the paint can and close the lid. It keeps a scummy glob from forming on the paint’s surface.” — A.C. in Washington
• Want a great, fluffy omelet? Use room-temperature eggs and add water instead of milk.
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, c/o King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475 or e-mail JoAnn at email@example.com. (c) 2011 King Features Synd.