• “For nice, evenly sliced mushrooms, use an egg slicer for cutting. It’s supereasy to use, since a boiled egg and a nice white mushroom are almost the same size. I get good, uniform slices with the slicer.” — P.E. in Colorado
• Try auto polish on tough bathtub stains. There is a little more grit in it than the usual bathroom cleaners. Be sure to rinse well, and don’t rub too hard, as it may scratch the tub surface.
• “Tissue boxes can be used to hold plastic baggies under the sink in the bathroom. I use grocery-store bags to line my bathroom trashcan. I choose a colorcoordinated tissue box that has been emptied, fill it with the plastic liners and then set it under the sink or toilet tank. It’s still nice-looking, even though it’s out of the way, and I have baggies at the ready.” — E.R. in Mississippi
• “Return envelopes that come with junk mail can be saved and repurposed as coupon holders/grocery lists. I tuck my weekly coupons inside and write my list on the back of the envelope, which usually is blank.” — C.G. in Oregon
• To keep track of takeout menus, use a three-prong notebook with an assortment of sheet protectors. Insert the menu into a sheet protector and file away. You can group menus by cuisine or by price.
• Tired of losing matched socks? Purchase a large delicates bag for each family member. Put dirty socks in the personal bag so that they cannot be lost.
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, c/o King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475 or e-mail JoAnn at firstname.lastname@example.org.