• To stretch your laundry budget, cut fabric softener sheets in half. They work just as well. Also, save them after they come out of the dryer. They make excellent dusters in the home.
• If the vegetables you’re cooking give off an unpleasant smell, grab a small saucepan and simmer a bit of plain vinegar while cooking. It will negate the smell, and leave your house smelling pleasantly like mealtime afterward.
• “Cornstarch is great for itchy, rashy skin. This is true for babies’ bottoms and for doggy bellies, which is what I use it for. My pup is allergic to grass but loves to romp. Sometimes his belly gets red, and I clean it with a mild soap and water, then give him a cornstarch rub. It sure helps.” — T.W. in Ohio
• Want to keep your cut flowers fresh longer? Add a teaspoon of chlorine bleach to the water and change it out every few days.
• Spruce up indoor greenery with a little mineral oil. To get your green plants’ leaves shining and healthy, wipe them down with a clean cloth dipped in mineral oil. Rub off any excess.
(c) 2012 King Features Syndicate, Inc.