• If you like taking baths, you can invest in a second rubber bath mat to drape over the side of the tub. The edge will be nonslip, so you can hold on for support, and your hands will not slide.
• Sunburn happens in the winter, too, especially on the slopes. Use a cotton ball soaked in cold tea to ease tight, dry skin. Be sure to apply sunscreen to your face and wear eye protection when going out in the snow.
• For drains slowed by grease, sprinkle a half-cup each of salt and baking soda down the drain, and follow it with an entire kettle or pot of boiling water.
• If the smell in your cedar chest has faded, bring it back easily with extra-fine sandpaper. A very light sanding is all it takes in most cases.
• For delicious baked potatoes, boil a pot of salted water, add whole potatoes with skin, remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes. Finish in oven for a sturdier skin. Start checking for doneness after 15 minutes in the oven. Baking time can be cut in half! — J.L. in Florida
• Remove that musty smell from stored clothes by adding either vinegar or ammonia to the wash water. Be sure to check for smell removal BEFORE drying, as the dryer can bake the smell into clothes, making it more difficult to remove.
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, c/o King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475 or e-mail JoAnn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(c) 2013 King Features Synd.